Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Step by step to reformate an old HDD for a new mobo

• Please log in to reply

Rorrec

Rorrec

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone, I'm hoping I can find some help here. I'm building a new computer and to save money I want to reuse the HDDs from a previous computer. I need to reformat it to keep from mucking things up with the old operating system. I've never built a computer without using all brand new parts so I'm a little confused on the order that I need to do things.

Do I reformat the HDD on the old computer and then pull it out and install? Or is there an option to reformat durring the set up of the new computer?

Or is there a way to do it through the installation of the new OS?

In all my searchs I get a "yes you can use an old HDD just reformat" I just never get the how.

Also if you could indulge me and idiot proof any recomindations I would greatly appreciat it :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can wipe the drive from the XP/Vista CD/DVD. It'll do it all for you.

Rorrec

Rorrec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That's fantastic. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh