Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

did something wrong

• Please log in to reply

new2thisstuff

new2thisstuff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
tryying to learn about computers so i decided to take one apart and put it back together. when i finally got everything together i hit the power button and the computer wont turn on. it is receiving power and one of the dvd drives has a green light on but the other one doesn't and the monitor wont kick on. not sure what i did but i tripple checked my connections and still cant get it to work. anyone possibly know whats goin on?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am assuming this is a older computer( ribbon data cable, NO sata, etc. Disconnect all cables. Make sure power supply cables are plugged in right to motherboard. Did you take out the Processor? If so did you put it back in with a heatsink and use the proper thermo past between? Are the power cables for the processor installed correct? Now, plug in hard drive to proper place( end of cable) on ribbon cable then ribbon cable to motherboard. By the way, what is the HD jumper set to( cable select?). Plug in a single CDrom drive to the data cable. Is it on-board video and sound? Plug in a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and one stick of memory. With this you should be able to boot into the BIOS of the motherboard. Have you check on-line for how to get to the BIOS of your MB? F8, F1, F2, ecs key or the Delete key?

Here's a good diagnosis website.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/pcrepair.htm

Now, let's learn what your supposed to do, OK?

SRX660