Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring Defaults In IE7 On New PC

• Please log in to reply

ronsweet2

ronsweet2

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello: I just got a new PC last night that has Windows XP (my old PC was Win2000) with IE 7. So a lot of the way it works is very new to me. I was adjusting some display preferences in the control panel, and then when I opened up IE this afternoon, I noticed that the display (color) was different. For example, my home page, which is MSNBC.com, is usually very "blue" (ie: the nav bar, the top header, etc.), and now it's completely white. I went back into the Control Panel, and it appears that none of the defaults that would affect IE have been changed. Then, I went into Tools/Internet Options/Colors and the default "Use Windows Colors" is still the default. I browsed around to try and find what else could be effecting the way IE displays web pages, and I'm at a loss. The desktop background is all the same as when I first turned on the PC, so not sure what else it could be. Any ideas how I can restore the default factory settings for this?

Also, I would really like to increase the contrast, but I don't see anything that will allow you to do this in the Control Panel's "Display" settings. You can adjust the screen resolution, text size, colors, etc. but not the contrast. When I read my email, I cannot tell the difference between a read and unread message, whereas unread messages are bold, so I was hoping that the contrast could be adjusted so that blacks were darker. Also, the text simply isn't dark enough.

Lastly, on my old PC, I was able to place a "desktop" icon on the bottom task bar (near the Start button), but I can't do it with this one. Now, I have to minimize all of the opened windows to be able to get back to the desktop. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks much! Ron

Advertisements

JPCompHelp

JPCompHelp

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Have you tried upgrading to IE8? It could also be that the website has just changed it's style sheet.
You should be able to adjust the contrast with the buttons on your monitor.
As for the "show desktop" button, save this:
[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop
As showdesktop.scf and drag the file onto the quick launch bar.

Edited by JPCompHelp, 28 July 2009 - 02:03 PM.