Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Buy new laptop without an OS?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

xAc!d

xAc!d

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I am wondering if there is somewhere that I can go to buy a new laptop, and have enough customization choices to where I can order the thing without an OS on it. I already have a disk that will put an OS on the thing without having to waste so much money on something I already have. Also, if you have any recommendations on a good laptop, feel free to mention them. I'd like it to be top of the line and be able to run games like COD, price isn't much of an issue (within reason).

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Look here: http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/23168/
For companies that sell laptops with no OS.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please explain this in more detail

I already have a disk that will put an OS on the thing without having to waste so much money on something I already have.

xAc!d

xAc!d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I already have a disk that will put an OS on the thing without having to waste so much money on something I already have.

I have windows XP SP3 on a boot disk that I made and prefer. I was able to cut out all of the unnecessary crap that Microsoft puts in their operating systems and make my version of XP run much faster.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is this already installed on another system then?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP

I have windows XP SP3 on a boot disk that I made and prefer. I was able to cut out all of the unnecessary crap that Microsoft puts in their operating systems and make my version of XP run much faster.

If I understand correctly, you have installed this version previously and intend to use it again. This violates the license agreement with Microsoft and also violates our TOU, which states that we won't help anyone suspected of using illegal software. In addition, the fact that you have somehow modified your version of XP may also violate Microsoft's license. While your original post was hardware-related, you're asking for help getting a system on which you intend to install an illegal version of software, so I'm afraid we can't help you further with this matter. If you feel this topic has been closed in error, you may PM me or any other admin.