Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to: XP repair installation on partitioned HD

• Please log in to reply

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
**NOTE** I read the sticky tutorial in the top of this forum, but it's TOTALLY different from what I get.

Everything is "cool" up to accepting the agreement, (F8), but that's when my computer options get different. What I get is a blue screen that shows 3 partitions on my HD:

-: Partition 1 [FAT] 71 MB (62 free)
C: Partition 2 [NTFS] 71336 MB (25802 free)
E: Partition 3 [FATS32] 4910 MB (452 free)

not sure what to do or where to go from here.

Any/all help is appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What kind of system?
Name brand or custom built?
Make and Model?
By the way your partitions look you may have a recovery partition on your drive already

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
This:
C: Partition 2 [NTFS] 71336 MB (25802 free)
is your Windows partition. Select it to run Windows repair.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

What kind of system?
Name brand or custom built?
Make and Model?
By the way your partitions look you may have a recovery partition on your drive already

Thank you soooooo much for the reply rshaffer. As your time allows, please don't leave me hanging.....lol :) This computer is a HUGE pain in the arse.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1501, just under 3? years.

I'm using a Dell Reinstallation CD, and not an actual XP CD. Any other information you might need, by all means, please ask. I'm here as long as you need me to be.

Thanks again!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You can't run repair with Reinstallation CD.
If you use it, all data will be gone.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

You can't run repair with Reinstallation CD.
If you use it, all data will be gone.

Thank you too for the assistance/reply Broni.

Oh goodness. Please don't tell me that!

Well let me expand a little. I'll give the 50 cent version. Got his with some bad viruses/malware. Acting like the 'puter pro that I'm not, I deleted csrss.exe from my windows/system32 directory. Oh,...did I forget to mention that I ran HiJack This, and (stupidly) hit FIX ERRORS without reading the warnings that I SHOULDN'T FIX ERRORS before posting MalwareBytes & HiJack This logs.

In short,....what can I do, and where can I go? I get the BSOD at boot up with a C0000005 error.

Thanks again guys!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, what you did with HJT is not such a big deal, because HJT creates back up. Not, that you don't deserve spanking for playing with tools, you're nor familiar with.
The bigger problem is csrss.exe deletion, which is rather crucial Windows file.
csrss.exe manages the majority of the graphical instruction sets under Windows, and, if it's missing, it'll produce BSOD.

Got his with some bad viruses/malware

Do you mean, you received the computer from somewhere, or....??

Did you try to start in Safe Mode?

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Well, what you did with HJT is not such a big deal, because HJT creates back up. Not, that you don't deserve spanking for playing with tools, you're nor familiar with.
The bigger problem is csrss.exe deletion, which is rather crucial Windows file.
csrss.exe manages the majority of the graphical instruction sets under Windows, and, if it's missing, it'll produce BSOD.

Got his with some bad viruses/malware

Do you mean, you received the computer from somewhere, or....??

Did you try to start in Safe Mode?

Yeah,...I know. Shouldn't play with things that can go "boom"....lol. But,....I did, and now I'm hoping that I can rectify my stupid mistake(s)

as for the "his with some bad --------", I meant to type HIT.

Yes,...I tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ command prompt, etc. BSOD in Safe Mode. I can get in Safe w/ prompt.....(I THINK!) It's been 3 days since I tried last.

I kinda' thought that the deletion of CSRSS was the major problem. In the little researching I did, there were 3 areas/folders/directories where there was CSRSS. Well,....I managed to get the two "bad ones". But obviously,....I also got the "real one".

Thanks again for the help. I'm signing off for the night, but I look forward to you & rshaeffer's assistance & suggestions as time allows. I tremendously appreciate it!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :rolleyes:
Looks like a fun one.
Am I understanding that the system will not boot into normal mode now?
Also I didn't see where system really has been cleaned of infection.
When the system is running again wouldn't a visit to Malware be a good ideal unless PleaseHelpMe wants to format and reinstall?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I don't guarantee, it'll work, but it's worth a shot.
I'm assuming, you're posting from another working XP computer....

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of csrss.exe to the current RC.ISO
  • In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (assuming, you're using working XP computer), and select csrss.exe
  • Then click Open to add csrss.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.D:
cd i386
copy csrss.exe c:\windows\system32
exit
After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Advertisements

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

:) :) :rolleyes:
Looks like a fun one.
Am I understanding that the system will not boot into normal mode now?
Also I didn't see where system really has been cleaned of infection.
When the system is running again wouldn't a visit to Malware be a good ideal unless PleaseHelpMe wants to format and reinstall?

DEFINITELY far from fun.....lol.

Correct. I cannot boot into normal mode.

As far as the system being cleaned of infection, I highly doubt it's totally cleaned/clear of viruses/malware. However, I can tell you that BEFORE I attempted to play computer sleuth, it was indeed running a TON better with less signs of malicious items. At this point, it's not totally a concern of mine to get the computer back to 100% (Although ideally, it would be nice :happy: ) My biggest concern is to be able to retrieve the info on my computer.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Broni,...unfortunately this is the wife's laptop & is running Vista. Likewise, offhand, I believe most of my friends/family are now running Vista too. :) Any resources where I might be able to d/l it?

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but THANKS!

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of csrss.exe to the current RC.ISO

• In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (assuming, you're using working XP computer), and select csrss.exe
  • Then click Open to add csrss.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.D:
cd i386
copy csrss.exe c:\windows\system32
exit
After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Performed all the steps/directions you told me to. The copy/install went over without a hitch. However,...I still got that damm BSOD again, and STILL can't do squat!! :)

While I TREMENDOUSLY appreciate all your help, I'm at wits end. Do you have any other suggestions and/or ideas as to why this is happening? I'm about to chuck this *&#@*^% thing out the window and do an Irish jig on it! I'm dead serious. It's got me SO TICKED OFF, that I'm starting to care less and less about all of my work (and pretty much a large part of my past 3 years) on this *$&@*#^ thing!!

Thank you again. If you don't feel there's any "quick fixes" or solutions, I sware it's getting SMASHED!!

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok,....might be a stupid question, but I'm running XP sp2. What if I dl'ed sp3 and tried to "upgrade". Would/could that "fix it"?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Stranger things have happened. It won't hurt to try and if it doesn't work you can always uninstall SP3
Go to Microsoft's Windows Update and you would need to do the Critical Updates.

I'm not sure if it will work and if not then what we need to do is to get your Data backed up and then do a format and fresh install.