Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to: XP repair installation on partitioned HD

• Please log in to reply

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Stranger things have happened. It won't hurt to try and if it doesn't work you can always uninstall SP3
Go to Microsoft's Windows Update and you would need to do the Critical Updates.

I'm not sure if it will work and if not then what we need to do is to get your Data backed up and then do a format and fresh install.

Ya' know what? I think I'm ready to just take the steps you suggested (ie. retrieve my data and do a format / fresh install)

However, please allow me to ask a few selective questions before we proceed with that:

1) What type of data can/will I recover?

2) I do a TON of Photoshop work. Will I be able to recover my .jpgs/.gifs/.psd files?

3) Music, games, software recoverable?

I guess basically what I'm asking, is will I be able to TRULY recover a majority of data/software/programs? I hope & pray you tell me "YES", but I'm ready to hear the worst and just start anew.

Thanks as always!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Where did you get XP csrss.exe file from?

As for reinstall, and backing up data...
You can either hookup your hard drive, as a slave in another computer, or you can buy USB hard drive enclosure, if the only other available computer is your wife's laptop. ~$20.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can backup most anything but the following
Exe, Scr, Html

Software usually you would have a installation disk.
Music should be ok also
Your Photoshop files should be safe to backup.

As far as the games and software you mention I hope that you would have the installation disks for them.
Broni may have more suggestions also to help with your decision.

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 July 2009 - 04:20 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys...

Just a quick FYI. Most Dell recovery disks provide the repair feature that works just like the retail version. Give the repair a try...the Windows partition will be C: Partition 2 [NTFS]

Keep in mind that even if the repair gets the machine running again, you will likely have an infection to deal with.

wannabe1

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Where did you get XP csrss.exe file from?

As for reinstall, and backing up data...
You can either hookup your hard drive, as a slave in another computer, or you can buy USB hard drive enclosure, if the only other available computer is your wife's laptop. ~$20.

I had a buddy of mine who's using XP on his home (Dell) desktop. He attached the csrss.exe and sent it via email.

As for hooking up my HD, I'm not experienced enough w/ "ripping apart" laptops. To boot, out of the 3 laptops, this is my wifes work laptop (Acer bare-bones hunk of doo-doo) running Vista. Then there's her personal laptop which we're waiting on a power cord for (Gateway running Xp,....again,....bare-bones), and then mine, which in short, is the BEST/MOST POWERFUL of the 3. Without getting too "geeky", there's are Pinto's, and mines a Viper.

Pardon my lack of knowledge and/or ignorance, and thanks for your patience.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi guys...

Just a quick FYI. Most Dell recovery disks provide the repair feature that works just like the retail version. Give the repair a try...the Windows partition will be C: Partition 2 [NTFS]

Keep in mind that even if the repair gets the machine running again, you will likely have an infection to deal with.

wannabe1

Thanks for chiming in wannabe. When I get to the blue screen w/ the partitons, it says:

To set up XP on the selected item, press ENTER
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
To delete the partition, press D

I selected C, and then I get the following:

You chose to install Windows XP on a partition that contains another OS. Installing XP on this partition might cause the other OS to function improperly.

CAUTION: Installing multiple OS's on a single partition is NOT recommended.

To continue, press C
To select a different partition, press ESC.

That DOUBLE warning & caution seems "scary" to the average shmo. Is that ok? Should I attempt to proceed, or should I just go the data recovery route with rshaeffer?

Edited by PleaseHelpMeNJ, 29 July 2009 - 05:10 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try wannabe1's suggestion first.

As for the hard drive, you can do it.
Removing hard drive involves just a screwdriver, and two hands.
Then, you buy USB hard drive enclosure (make sure, it's designed for laptop hard drive), and again, screwdriver, couple of screws, couple of cables, and you're done.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Apparently your Windows installation is being seen as too corrupt to repair. The options listed indicate that the repair feature is on the disk, though.

From where you are now, we can do a parallel installation without data loss. This will install a second operating system into a new directory on the same partition. Once that's running, it's a simple task to get to your data files. Then we can try to get the old operating system running using files from the new one, or we can just remove the borked operating system completely.

I'll post the instructions for you. You are at the point where the red text is...you can continue on from there. If any of the presented options differ from those shown in the instructions, let me know.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Apparently your Windows installation is being seen as too corrupt to repair. The options listed indicate that the repair feature is on the disk, though.

From where you are now, we can do a parallel installation without data loss. This will install a second operating system into a new directory on the same partition. Once that's running, it's a simple task to get to your data files. Then we can try to get the old operating system running using files from the new one, or we can just remove the borked operating system completely.

I'll post the instructions for you. You are at the point where the red text is...you can continue on from there. If any of the presented options differ from those shown in the instructions, let me know.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.

• At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Ok,...we're installing wannabe.

Before I get too far, I do want to thank Broni & rshaeffer for all of their time, suggestions, and assistance.

So I'm at 74% currently, and I presume I'll be done with this step shortly. Standing by for next steps, and ready whenever you are wannabe. Thank you!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You were in good hands with Broni and rshaffer61...they are both very good technicians. The parallel install gets overlooked a lot as a good way to go when the original operating system becomes unusable for some reason.

Once the installation completes, you will be prompted to select which operating system you want to log on to. The new installation will be the top one and should be pre-selected...just press Enter to log on. We'll remove this prompt in a bit.

Let me know how the new install runs.

Advertisements

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

You were in good hands with Broni and rshaffer61...they are both very good technicians. The parallel install gets overlooked a lot as a good way to go when the original operating system becomes unusable for some reason.

Once the installation completes, you will be prompted to select which operating system you want to log on to. The new installation will be the top one and should be pre-selected...just press Enter to log on. We'll remove this prompt in a bit.

Let me know how the new install runs.

Yes indeed wannabe. I felt ENTIRELY comfortable with both of them, and am 100% confident one and/or both of them could've offered an alternative to the route we're talking. I'm new to the community, but I'm VERY happy at the helpfulness & thoughtfulness of some of the members. I truly belive in goodness/kindess/karma. But engough babblin'......lol. Let me get back to this.

I have about 6 minutes remaining on the installation. I am under the impression that what our ultimate goal is, is to have this NEW XP serve as my NEW OS. Then,...we're going to take any pertinent/important files of mine on the OLD XP, and transfer them to the new one? Am I correct?

Yeah, yeah. I know. I sould like a broken record. Thank you for EVERYTHING (wannabe1, rshaffer61, & Broni). If any of you come to the Jersey Shore, dinner is one me! FOR REAL!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nice job guys :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Using the new Windows install would probably be best if you suspect the old one was infected. We'll make that determination once your data is secure.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name. Copy data files and folders only. Don't try to copy the folders with "MY" in the name (My Music, My Documents, etc...)...those are folders with special attributes and they don't like to be messed with. Copy the files within them and paste them to the same folder in the new installation.

I've got to step out for about an hour...I'll check on your progress when I return.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Using the new Windows install would probably be best if you suspect the old one was infected. We'll make that determination once your data is secure.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name. Copy data files and folders only. Don't try to copy the folders with "MY" in the name (My Music, My Documents, etc...)...those are folders with special attributes and they don't like to be messed with. Copy the files within them and paste them to the same folder in the new installation.

I've got to step out for about an hour...I'll check on your progress when I return.

Sounds good.

Well, here's what I've got so far. I'm transfering/copying the majority of the files from my old XP to the new one. However, one of the old "user folders" CHRISTINE, (my wife's account/folder) gives me a stop/alert and says ACCESS DENIED. Other than that, it appears that things are running fairly smoothly.

I'll check for further instructions as your time allows. Thank you.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You need to take ownership of that folder: http://www.winxptuto...m/ownership.htm