Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to: XP repair installation on partitioned HD

• Please log in to reply

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

You need to take ownership of that folder: http://www.winxptuto...m/ownership.htm

Did I happen to mention how great you folks are????

OH! About 10 times?

Let's make it 11!!

YOU FOLKS ARE GREAT!!!

For real! You don't realize how close this thing was to ending up in the driveway under the wheels of our Explorer. Well,....the wife already told me I couldn't run it over. But you get the idea. :)

Transfer is going smoothly. **Fingers crossed I/we can get it resolved 100%**

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let us know when you're done moving your data... :)

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Let us know when you're done moving your data... :)

Will do my friend. If I'm being honest, I'd guesstimate that it's going to take at least another hour or so.
I'll post as soon as my transfers are complete. If it get's too late, then we can continue tomorrow (or, obviously, as you fine folks' schedule allows)

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well, my guesstimate was incorrect. I THINK (hope) I'm done transferring everything I need to.

I presume the next step is that were going to wipe out the old XP? Regardless,....I'm standing by awaiting your next steps/instructions.

Thank you as always folks! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job Broni and Wannabe1.
We all appreciate the kind words PleaseHelpMeNJ
That makes everything we do worth it.
I for one will take a thank you anytime. :) :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's take a look at Device Manager first and make sure all your devices are installed correctly.

Click Start then right click on My Computer...choose "Properties". In the Properties window, click on the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button.

In Device Manager, do any of the listed devices have a yellow ? or ! displayed next to them? If not, close Device Manager...that will be good to go.

========================

Then, I'll need a copy of the boot.ini file. Back in the System Properties window, click on the "Advanced" tab. In the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button...a notepad window will open. Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

C'mmon Ron, we all did it, and PleaseHelpMeNJ was great with following all instructions :)
Good piece of work here Posted Image

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok,....please bear with me wannabe. I think I have to back up a sec.

I'm in Windows Explorer (SAFE MODE) to do my personal file transfers. I've completed that step and here's what the tree looks like:

Desktop
\My Documents
\My Computer
\(LOCAL DISK)C:
\(CD-ROM)D:
\CONTROL PANEL
\SHARED DOCUMENTS
\myName's Documents

When I collapse C: , I get:

Dell
Dell922

......and then

Documents & settings

In the DOCUMENTS & SETTINGS, there's:

Admin (the OLD XP)
Admin.NEWXP (the new install)
All Users (old?)
All Users.WINDOWS0 (the new install)
myName (old XP)
myName1 (new install)

Then,...there's a bunch of other collapsable folders, including but not limited to drivers, i386, installation files, program files, etc.

Now I understand in order to have the hardware & software work with our new XP install, they have to be somewhere on the new XP. I just don't know where to place them?

Also,...I don't want to get ahead of myself, but on the same note, I don't want to go and screw something up that I/we won't be able to fix. I'm sure you can appreciate my concern. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

C'mmon Ron, we all did it, and PleaseHelpMeNJ was great with following all instructions :)
Good piece of work here Posted Image

You spoke too soon....lol. I guarantee (based on my last post), you're all smackin' your heads and saying, "DOH! Why did we take on this one!".....lol

Thanks a ZILLION folks! I hope there's a way I can reciprocate one day.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are there devices in Device manager that have icons next to them? If so, what are they?

The folders within the Documents and Settings folder can be explored and deleted at your leisure. The files in the old install folders should be copies of the ones in the new install and can be deleted to regain the space they occupy. No big rush on these...and it's best to double check to make sure your transferred files are viable before you delete the corresponding copy.

Advertisements

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Let's take a look at Device Manager first and make sure all your devices are installed correctly.

Click Start then right click on My Computer...choose "Properties". In the Properties window, click on the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button.

In Device Manager, do any of the listed devices have a yellow ? or ! displayed next to them? If not, close Device Manager...that will be good to go.

========================

Then, I'll need a copy of the boot.ini file. Back in the System Properties window, click on the "Advanced" tab. In the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button...a notepad window will open. Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

Yes,...I have six (6) that are "unrecognized". They are as follows:

Base System Device
Ethernet Controller
Network Controller
PCI Device
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Here's a copy of the boot.ini:
=================================
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows0="microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows="Windows XP Media Center Edition" / fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows="Windows XP Pro" /fastdetect / noexecute=optin
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows="windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

=============================================

The 2nd & 3rd from the top are when I made my half-arsed / unassisted attempt at fixing this monstrosity that I've created....lol

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Will this new installation be the only operating system in use on the machine?

You're missing the chipset drivers. What is the model and model number of that Dell? I'll round up the drivers for you.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Will this new installation be the only operating system in use on the machine?

You're missing the chipset drivers. What is the model and model number of that Dell? I'll round up the drivers for you.

Yes wannabe. This will be the only OS.

As for the drivers, since my last post, I manually went in there and assigned the drivers. All except the PCI Device. For some reason, that's not in my drivers folder.

The model is a Dell Inspiron 1501. Thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your drivers are HERE.

Expand the Chipset section and download the second and third drivers in the list. Install them starting with the ATI drivers. Reboot and let me know if that clears Device Manager.

======================

Before you reboot, copy the modified boot.ini file below (in red) and paste it in place of the current mangled one. Click File on the notepad toolbar and choose "Save". Close the boot.ini window.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows0="microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If you don't want the prompt for recovery console, we can remove that, too.....or reduce the time the prompt displays before booting to the default OS.

I've got to call it a day. After doing what I've suggested above, you can make sure all your files are good...just open random files of various types, it will be pretty apparent if you start running into corrupted ones. You can delete those and copy them again from the old profile.

You should also install an Anti Virus program and give the machine a good scan.

Tomorrow we'll do some housecleaning and cut you loose if everything goes well.

PleaseHelpMeNJ

PleaseHelpMeNJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Your drivers are HERE.

Expand the Chipset section and download the second and third drivers in the list. Install them starting with the ATI drivers. Reboot and let me know if that clears Device Manager.

======================

Before you reboot, copy the modified boot.ini file below (in red) and paste it in place of the current mangled one. Click File on the notepad toolbar and choose "Save". Close the boot.ini window.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

If you don't want the prompt for recovery console, we can remove that, too.....or reduce the time the prompt displays before booting to the default OS.

I've got to call it a day. After doing what I've suggested above, you can make sure all your files are good...just open random files of various types, it will be pretty apparent if you start running into corrupted ones. You can delete those and copy them again from the old profile.

You should also install an Anti Virus program and give the machine a good scan.

Tomorrow we'll do some housecleaning and cut you loose if everything goes well.

Sorry for the delay in replying. My Comcast took a lil' turd for the last 1/2 hr or so. Still intermittent.

Sounds good my friend! I'll check back with you (and rshaffer61 & Broni if they'd like to pop in) tomorrow at your convenience(s).

G'nite