Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Error: Stack Overflow at line 0

• Please log in to reply

The Fuzzy One

The Fuzzy One

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, all. I'm running Windows Vista, usually using IE (though my problems do not appear to be strictly IE based).

This morning, my internet was working just fine.

This is no longer the case.

A lot of image-heavy sites, from Youtube to icanhascheeseburger to the pet site I frequent, Wajas.com, are now refusing to load. I'm getting a basic "Internet explorer can not display this page" error, and even when loading them in firefox they're not working. The only specific error message I've been getting is the occasional popup informing me of the aforementioned windows error:

"Windows error: Stack overflow at line 0"

When I've looked up information on this error, it seems to be killing internet access in a lot of people. What I can't seem to find is anything that works when it comes to FIXING this.

I've tried clearing my cache, restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling Java, and everything else people have recommended. I've even tried downloading the hotfix available from Microsoft related to this error, but when it was running, I just got another error message:

"An error occurred while unzipping. One or more files were not successfully unzipped. The error code is 40."

I have not been able to track down what error code 40 is supposed to mean, or how I can fix it, and the hotfix will do nothing after that error message.

This only seems to affect websites that are relatively image heavy. I've had no problem connecting to the internet itself- for example, AIM still works just fine, and I could even load and successfully play on Runescape, which is a java-based MMORPG. My sister, who is on a wireless laptop running Vista (like myself), has experienced no problems, and our desktop, which runs XP, is having no trouble either.

Any advice and assistance will be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to pay around the hundred dollars it'd cost to get this fixed professionally, especially not if I can fix it myself. I'm really not computer savvy, though, so forgive me if I seem a little stupid about some of this stuff, lol. Thank you all in advance!

Advertisements