Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I'm having a monitor problem on a Dell 1525.

• Please log in to reply

LittleWerido

LittleWerido

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
My mom's laptop is having monitor problems - the backlight is having a hard time.
I've went into BIOS and tested the brightness setting. When I set it all the way to 8 (Max), the computer made a noise and the backlight turned off.

I experimented with that and I was able to make the backlight stay on for at least a 2-3 minutes. When I try to boot up the computer, the backlight stays on until the 'Loading' screen appears. The thing is that I can still see the screen, but it's hard to clearly see it because the backlight is off.

She is running Windows Vista if that has anything to do with it.
Also, I don't currently have an external monitor with me right now, though I'm planning on trying to get one soon.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really think you need to have this repaired by someone experienced in doing this. The other choice is to use an external monitor until you can get it fixed. The real problem is it will most likely cost about a third to half the price of a new laptop to fix the screen if the backlight is going bad. It could be just a connection problem with the video cable between the screen and the video controller, but that is usually not the problem.

SRX660