Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Profile Storage Space Problem

• Please log in to reply

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hello.

I just experienced a new problem. There's a Red X in my taskbar and I didn't know what it was. I read up on it before posting here.

Apparently, I exceeded my Profile Storage Space Quota. I can't even log off or reboot through Windows because it says I have to move some items from my profile to network or local storage. So I have to manually power down.

I had a few Windows problems and I just did a Windows Repair using my original XP disc. Now the other problems are gone and I have this new one.

I never knew about this quota before, but after reading up on it, there should have beeen a Yellow X as a warning when I came close to my quota, but I never got that. The Red X appeared immediately after I repaired Windows, so I imagine the repair had something to do with it. I'm also grossly over the limit, so there's something wrong here. Why would I not even get a yellow caution, and then be so much over the quota after the Windows Repair?

There's also a new wrinkle. I can't update any Microsoft programs. With the Windows Repair, it reverted back to IE v.6 and Windows Media Player v.9. When I try to update them, it goes through the new installation and then says "Installation could not be completed." I tried to install SP3 and half way through it aborted and said "Access Denied." I don't know if this is related to the Profile Storage Problem or not.

It's a home computer and I'm the only one using it and I have administrative rights.

How can I either disable the quota or increase my storage quota? I looked at my Profile in the Advanced Tab of System Properties, but it didn't allow me to do it.

I would rather not have to delete anything from My Documents.

Also, will curing the storage problem allow me to update my programs?

Can anyone help me with these problems?

Thanks.

My Setup:

Dell 531s Inspiron Desktop
AMD Athlon Core 2 Duo CPU
4GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Pro with SP2 (can't install updates or update to SP3 right now)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Dom Fontana...

Open "My Computer" and right click on the system drive (Local Disk C:)...click on "Properties". Click on the "Quota" tab.

Is the box next to "Enable Quota Management" ticked? If it is, remove the tick and Apply the settings...reboot.

wannabe1

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi, wannabe1.

I thought you had nailed it. I forgot about that Quota tab because I never use it. So I opened it figuring it had somehow been set, but alas that was not the case. The box was not checked. :) That would have been too easy, right.

So I played around with it. I checked it and rebooted and then unchecked it and rebooted. Then I set it up with No Limit and then with the maximum limit, rebooting each time, but nothing worked. Now I have it back to its original unchecked state.

For some strange reason Disk Quota Management is enabled even thought the box is unchecked. Do you have any other idea what it could be? I did a Virus Scan, but nothing turned up.

Thanks for your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click the Start button, then click on "Run". Type gpedit.msc in the Run field and click on "Ok".

In the left pane of the resulting window, expand (click +) User Configuration, then Administrative Templates, then System, and click on User Profiles.

In the right pane, what setting is shown for "Limit profile size"?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Open windows explorer

2. Find file c:\windows\system32\proquota.exe

3. Right click on the file and go to Security->Advanced

4. Uncheck "Inherit from parent the permission entries ...", make sure you've removed all
permissions from this file

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Eureka! It worked.

I want to the Group Policy Editor, as you suggested, wannabe1. It was set to "Not Configured." So I changed it to "Disabled" and rebooted and the problem was solved. I rebooted a few times since then just to be sure and everything is okay now. :)

Just to be sure, I should have changed it to "Disabled," right?

Hi, Broni. After I fixed it, I checked your suggestion, too. The thing is when I right-clicked on proquota.exe, there was no option for Security->Advanced, so I figured you wanted me to click on Properties first. But Properties only has Tabs for General, Version, Compatibility, and Summary. So I couldn't find the Security->Advanced option. Did I do something wrong? Is this something I should still look into, now that the problem is fixed?

Thanks to both of you so much. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this.

I'm going to try some updates now, just to make sure they work and then will report back here. I'm figuring the updates didn't work because when the quota was exceeded, it wouldn't let the installation program write any more data to my profile.

After I confirm I can do the updates, I'll post here and we can close the thread.

Thanks again. :)

Edited by Dom Fontana, 30 July 2009 - 05:36 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what I was after...disabling the profile limit.

Glad we could help! :)

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Unfortunately, I still have Part 2 of the problem. I can't install the updates. After I did the Windows Repair from the original XP disc, I lost all my updates.

I have Windows Service Pack 3 on my hard drive, so I figured I'd start with that. The installation gets about 3/4 done and then it fails and says "Access Denied." Then it undoes all the changes, but at the end it says, "The installation failed and XP might not work properly."

Then with Automatic Updates, I get a notice that I need the Windows 3.1 Installer. So I download it, but when I try to install it, it always fails. So without the updated installer I can't get the Security Updates, plus I don't know why I can't install SP 3. Plus, I can't update Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer.

How can I troubleshoot this and fix it?

It's always something, right?

If I can fix this, I should be okay.

Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try running Dial-a-Fix on the machine...see if that gets you updating again.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
It turns out I already had Dial-A-Fix. I checked and it is the latest version.

Before I ran it, I checked MSI: Fix Windows Installer and WU/WUAU: Fix Windows Update. As soon as I ran it, I got this error message:

Windows Installer: An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers

Then it proceeded to run normally for a few minutes. After I rebooted, I got the Auto Update Notice for 2 Security updates and they installed fine. Then I got the notice about the Installer Update and tried to install the updated 3.1 Installer, but again it failed.

Then I ran Dial-A-Fix again, and the window behind it showed that there were 7 restrictions on my machine. A few had to do with Auto Update. So I removed all the restrictions, rebooted, and again it failed to install the updated installer.

I figured I'd post back here, hoping you knew what the error message was about and how to fix it. :)

Thanks.

Update: I used the Repair Permissions Tool and about half way through a DOS box came up briefly and showed a bunch of entries and they all said: "Can't write to Registry. Permission Denied." When it was finished, I looked at the log file and it said: "No Restrictive Policies were found."

I don't know if I should have done that and if this is of any help, but I figured I'd keep you fully informed.

Edited by Dom Fontana, 30 July 2009 - 08:37 AM.

Advertisements

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Double Eureka! The second problem is now fixed. Dial-A-Fix did it. After I rebooted, the Auto Update again downloaded the new installer, and this time it installed. After that, it was clear sailing. I got all the other updates and updated SP3, IE8, and WMP 11. Now I'm all set and back to normal.

This deserves two thumbs up. :) :)

Thank you very much. A few months ago, I posted a problem here, and now I recall that it was the two of you who also helped me then. I really appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help and persistence.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Gotta love a happy ending... :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm glad, your issues are solved :)
I'm still little bit concerned about missing "Security" tab (and, yes, it was my typo....Properties>Security tab)
Check here: http://www.mydigital...p-professional/

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi.

Broni: I checked the link and it recommended two fixes. In Folder Options, View, I unchecked "Use Simple File Sharing," but there was still no security tab. Then I rebooted and "Use Simple File Sharing" was now checked again.

The second fix was in the Registry and it said to set the value to 0 or delete the key Nosecuritytab. But when I checked, that key is not there.

Is this something I should be worried about?

Also, is there an option here to mark this thread as Solved or to rate the responses?

Thanks so much.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I assume, you're logged in as Administrator?

I unchecked "Use Simple File Sharing,"

Clicked OK?

is there an option here to mark this thread as Solved

I think, new board version doesn't have this option.

Is this something I should be worried about?

It's pretty important tab. I'd check your computer with our malware people.