Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Profile Storage Space Problem

• Please log in to reply

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Yes, I'm logged in as Aministrator and yes I clicked OK.

So now there is a new problem. The plot thickens. :)

May as well bring this up, too. In device manager, I now have the infamous yellow question mark next to SM BUS Controller. I never had that before. Could that have something to do with the problem?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
No. Most likely, you should reinstall chipset driver.

...and...I really didn't want to scare you...hehehe...I simply think, if something is not working, it's a good idea to find out why...

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Broni.

I agree about something not working, but if Use simple file sharing was checked, the security tab wasn't supposed to be there, right?

Anyway, I always seem to have a delayed reaction. I unchecked Use Simple File Sharing again and this time it took. So now I have the Security Tab. It had 4 groups or user names. As Administrator, I had Full Control. But I was also listed as a Power User and just a User, plus there was an entry for System and they didn't have full control. So I set everything for full control, since I'm the only one who uses the computer. Was this the right thing to do?

I tried reinstalling the chipset driver, but the SM BUS Controller still has the yellow question mark. I just want to fix that and I'll be back to 100%.

Thank you very much for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Was this the right thing to do?

You did well :)

I tried reinstalling the chipset driver, but the SM BUS Controller still has the yellow question mark

Where did you get the driver from?

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi, Broni.

I was working on the SM Bus Controller problem right now.

Background:

1) I never had this problem before in the past. Only after I repaired Windows.
2) Everything seems to be working fine, but don't like that Device Manager doesn't recognize the SM Bus Controller.
3) I have all the updated drivers from Dell. After the repair, I didn't have to reinstall any of the drivers because it was a repair and not a new installation.
4) Just to be sure, I tried to install the chipset driver again, but it wouldn't install because it said I was already using the latest driver.
5) I read that it means Simple Management Bus and it's really a function of the motherboard, but I never had a driver for the motherboard.
6) The SM Bus Controller is listed under Other Devices in Device Manager.
7) I've searched the AMD and Dell sites and couldn't find anything. The thing is, it was never a problem before this, so it's not as if I'm missing a driver or anything like that.

Anyway, it's probably something silly causing this. But like you, it will bother me until I fix it.

It's an Intel Desktop 531s computer
The Processor is AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
The processor is listed twice under Processors in Device Manager.

I figured I'd give as much info as possible.

Broni, I don't even recall if there was an entry for the SM Bus Controller before I repaired Windows. From what I've read, it's more of an Intel chipset thing.

What would happen if I just uninstalled it? Is it possible that it's a mistake and I don't have an SM Bus Controller?

Thanks for all your help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I tried to install the chipset driver again

How exactly do you that? Did you go to Dell's site, and downloaded fresh driver?

Is it possible that it's a mistake and I don't have an SM Bus Controller?

No, every computer has one.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I created a Drivers folder on my hard drive where I have all the Dell 531s drivers, each in its own folder. For instance, Audio, Video, Chipset, Bios, Networking, etc.

I downloaded the latest Chipset driver from Dell and it's the same version I already have. Then I just doubled-clicked the driver setup program, it checks the computer and then says, you already have the same driver you're trying to install, so installation will not continue.

As I said before, I never had this problem before and everything worked with all the existing drivers I have on my hard drive.

Puzzling, huh?

Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try this: http://www.intel.com...b/cs-013541.htm

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I was already at that site, but that's only for Intel chipsets. I have an AMD Athlon CPU. I went to the AMD site, too, but that didn't help.

As I said, something else is causing the problem because there was never a problem before using the current drivers I have on my hard drive. So I don't need another driver.

Is there a program you know of that can scan Device Manager to see where the problem lies?

Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Download, and install Everest Ultimate Edition 4.6: http://www.lavalys.c...ultimate460.exe
Enter following registration code (Help>Enter product key) to make it fully functional:
RHGJE-54X47-HML9C-V498I-UUMVI
(it's all legal, the above version has been recently offered as a free download)

In left pane expand Computer folder.
Click once on Summary
In upper menu, go Report>Quick Report-Summary
Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Don't include anything under the line Debug - PCI

Posted Image

Advertisements

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Great, Broni. I'll do that now and then get back to you.

We're going for the Trifecta. You realize that if I fix this, that will be 3 things in one thread that were fixed. That must be a record. :)

Thanks.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Broni.

Okay, here's the Everest Report. Note that under Computer Type, it says (Mobile) at the end. I want to make clear that the 531s is a desktop computer, not a laptop.

Thanks.

P.S. After I posted this message, I checked the attachment and the formatting was not as nice as the text file I uploaded. I don't don't know if it's too much trouble for you to read and if I should post it again. Please let me know.

Attached Files

Edited by Dom Fontana, 01 August 2009 - 03:49 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try this one: http://www.nvidia.co...8.26_11.09.html

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Broni. I was just about to write to you to save you the trouble of having to respond. I figured out the problem with the SM Bus and solved it. That was the driver I needed and I did have it on my hard drive. I was ready to celebrate, but now I have a new nightmare, that prevented me from connecting to the Internet for a few hours. I have no idea how or why this happened. I was able to figure out how to connect again, but here is the new probelm.

I have a new entry in Device Manager that I never had before with the yellow exclamation point. It's listed under Network Adapters and it's called WAN Miniport (IP). If I can just fix this, I promise I won't bother you anymore.

Could the fixing of the SM Bus problem have caused this?

Unbelievable, huh?

Thank you for all your help.

Edited by Dom Fontana, 01 August 2009 - 09:30 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Most likely, you don't need it a t all.
You can uninstall it.
Use the following commands from Command prompt (cmd):
netcfg -e -u ms_sstpminiport