Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

game prob?!?

• Please log in to reply

packrat083

packrat083

• Pip
  • 5 posts
when i play any game, 3d or 2d, the screen lags, then freezes, then exits to windows. no error message, no warning, and no interferance by me. anyone else have this prob. and/or know how to fix it? any help would be much appreciated. thanks!

packrat

Advertisements

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
you probably need more memory, how much do you have?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
most of the time, this is a driver or memory issue (crash to desktop).

update drivers, if it continues, try removing one memory stick (if you have two), then swap them if the problem persists

packrat083

packrat083

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, ill try that. btw, i have about 19.5 gb of memory. thx

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
that can't be right...what are you runnin' Deep Blue Jr.?

packrat083

packrat083

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
memory is the local disk, correct? i might have looked at the wrong thing. 8( sry

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
it goes like this...you have your Hard Drive (local disk), Memory (something completely different), and your processor. All of your files, programs, everything, is stored on your Hard Drive...But the harddrive is too slow when it comes to transfering information to the processor (the brain/workhorse of the computer...basically where all the calculations are made). So what happens is that the processor asks for a program and then the program is dumped into the memory by the Hard Drive because the Memory is much faster at transferring information to the processor. so basically the processor gets all of what it needs to carry out your commands from the memory...that's why the more memory you have the faster your computer will run...because there is that much more data available at the processors "fingertips" so to speak.
if you want to check how much memory you have right-click on my comp and click properties...the first tab that's shown will display your memory as well as your processor type and speed.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

that can't be right...what are you runnin' Deep Blue Jr.?

View Post

LOL...thanks....I need a chuckle

Memory is RAM.

You are referring to storage

packrat083

packrat083

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
lol, ok. RAM...im an idiot. 8)

1gb

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
don't be so hard on yourself...you want to talk about being an idiot? I'm a Red's fan...

packrat083

packrat083

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
lol, thx.