Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't uninstall antivirus program!

• Please log in to reply

wiskerluv

wiskerluv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was running Avast Pro and something quit working. I tried to uninstall it and reinstall but Add/Remove in Control Panel gave me an error that it couldn't uninstall it. It wouldn't even reinstall over the bad app and I got another error message.

I went into Regedit and couldn't delete the registery keys...got another error message. Okay so I went right to the program file and tried deleting each file, but they wouldn't delete either...you know the old "Access denied-cannot delete files, they may be in use". Yes the program is in my sys.tray and I can't get rid of it. Went to MSCONFIG and keep unticking it on startup, but it keeps coming back. What's a person to do? I even did a System Restore to 2 days ago, but the darn antivirus app is still here and still not working. Now when I go back into Control Panel Add/Remove programs, it's now not showing up in there. I think I tried everything and still can't get rid of it. Anywhere else I should be looking?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

kangaroo319

kangaroo319

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi wiskerluv

I use Avast pro, but i am not overly bright. :) They have a uninstall utility, but it must be used in SAFE MODE.
If you wait someone with more brains then me will come along. Or you could try there forums.

I will place links to the uninstall utility and their forum.

Avast Uninstall Utility

Avast Forums

Hope this helps

Cheers

kangaroo319

kangaroo319

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The problem has been fixed see link

Solved another forum