Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display driver nvlddmkm has stopped working

• Please log in to reply

pteri

pteri

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Got a new computer which is amazing, but I get the oh-so annoying error where my screen freezes, goes black, then comes back, and Runescape (which I always have open) will just be a blank square. A dialogue box in the bottom right says:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Here is another forum with a picture:
http://blog.stevex.n...-has-recovered/

My drivers are all up to date - tried installing normally, and uninstalling then reinstalling.
Also tried Vista Update KB938194, but it "does not apply to my system."

Totally clueless, and can not find a solution.

Cheers, Pteri

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hi there,

This looks like an insanely common error.. With various solutions(and none that work for everyone!). You can try a few things I found:

Go to: Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Power Options and click on the button for High Performance.

Any changes?

Go to:

Start >(in the search bar type:) devmgmt.msc

Navigate to your video card in Display Adapters. Right click it, and choose Update Driver.

Any updates? Any changes?

-Jason :)

pteri

pteri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Changing to high performance mode seemed to help, but hasn't fixed it - I've only had 1 crash today, as opposed to about 7 yesterday.
And unfortunately my Nvidia Geforce 100 is up to date.

Pteri

pteri

pteri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It appears to have gotten worse... I can barely run Runescape for more than 5 minutes without crashing.