Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 3 is killing me.

• Please log in to reply

BKAllday

BKAllday

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My old eMachine with XP hasn't been hooked up to the internet in about a year and a half. Upon getting said internet I thought it might be a good idea to update some of my programs including windows. So I downloaded service pack 3 over night and finished the install this morning. Now it doesn't even start up! Thats one heck of a service pack!

I get to the Screen where i used to type in my password, but no password box shows up, and instead i get a quick flash of a message that says something like "not enough physical memory" among other things (it flashes too fast to read,) and then my computer shuts off and tries to start again, repeating the same process.

I've tried entering safe mode with the same result, and the same too with start with last known working configuration. To make matters worse, I cant find my windows CD. :)

Most of my files are backed up on my external hard drive, but my program files, and lots of recent master files for the music i make are on my C drive still... I'm going crazy trying to make this thing work. PLEASE HELP! :)

Advertisements

BKAllday

BKAllday

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there a way that i can delete some files on my hard drive without actually entering windows???

Rastik

Rastik

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You can formate disk but you will lost all your data.

BKAllday

BKAllday

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I realize that but I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible...

BKAllday

BKAllday

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Would it be possible to install my hard drive as a slave on another computer, access the files on that, and transfer them to my external drive, then format the disk and transfer them back?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have a AMD processor ...you need to install this patch BEFORE you try to install SP 3
Do not install Service Pack 3 on systems with AMD chips unless a special hotfix has been applied first. This hotfix needs to be applied before SP3, otherwise your system may get stuck in a loop and never start.
get the patch here

Is there a way that i can delete some files on my hard drive without actually entering windows???

yep... slave it to a working computer...what files are you wanting to delete ...

Would it be possible to install my hard drive as a slave on another computer, access the files on that, and transfer them to my external drive, then format the disk and transfer them back?...

yep...it won't work for program files though...they would have to be reinstalled again...data,music and documents ..no problem...

Edited by happyrock, 30 July 2009 - 12:48 PM.

Rastik

Rastik

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Would it be possible to install my hard drive as a slave on another computer, access the files on that, and transfer them to my external drive, then format the disk and transfer them back?

Thats possible