Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC refuses to boot(hardware problem I think)

• Please log in to reply

xp_even

xp_even

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
At a friend's place, I came across a very old PC.It was a P4 based system with DDR memory.The Intel motherboard did not have an AGP or PCI-E slot.It had four DIMM slots and two PCI slots on which were mounted a Creative sound card and a LAN card.
Now this system was having a problem due to which only one speaker(2.1) was producing sound.The speaker jack was connected to the sound card.
So I decided to test the speakers with the onboard sound and removed the sound card from the system after detaching all cables from the cabinet.Later after reconnecting the cables, the system would simply not boot.The green light on the front panel was glowing and the CPU fan was rotating but the monitor was completely blank and there was no beeps or sounds of Windows booting.
I checked the cabling several times in all possible combinations but to no avail.
Another thing, after powering on the UPS, the green light glows and the CPU fan rotates automatically without the need to press the power button.

Needing help, desperately...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

First off, have you removed the sound card again? If not, can you please do so.
When you say UPS, I assume you do mean UPS & not PSU, in which case can you please bypass the UPS & connect the PC straight to the mains & try to boot again.

If it still doesn't work, try clearing the bios (remember to disconnect the internal ATX connector first & leave the jumper in the clear position for approx 30 secs). If you need help with this let me know.

If it still doesn't work (or if you need help with clearing the bios) can let me know the system make & model or the motherboard make & model.

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yes I have removed the sound card.And the SMPS has a direct connection to the ac mains.

I can't seem to find a jumper to clear the bios.What I did instead was remove the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes and put it back again.

Still no display...or beep

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, that's fine. Removing the cmos battery will have the same effect.

Can you first disconnect anything that's not absolutely essential. i.e any expansion cards (except video obviously), all drive cabling (disconnect from motherboard), any external devices except keyboard. They try to power on again. As well as beeps, check to see if the keyboard lights flash on & off after powering on.

If it still doesn't work, can you try removing all the ram modules please & then power the system on again. Do you get any beeps this time?

Next, replace the ram & remove the video card (assuming there's no onboard video). Power the system on & let me know if you get any beeps this time.

Obviously make sure the system speaker is correctly connected first!