Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing or plugging in a USB device cuts the internet off.

• Please log in to reply

zxcymn

zxcymn

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
For some reason any time I either plug in or remove a USB device the internet cuts out for at least 60 seconds.

Lately my mouse has been removing itself for about 6 seconds which results in the internet being cut out as a side effect. This happens most often when playing a game, and as you can guess that presents a huge problem.

Anyone have any idea why on earth this cuts the internet out?

Edited by zxcymn, 30 July 2009 - 01:59 PM.

Advertisements

zxcymn

zxcymn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Well, I determined there was a short in the wire on the neck of the mouse and whenever it was slightly pulled it cut off temporarily. That explains why it happens mostly when playing Counter-Strike: Source; I move the mouse a lot.

However I am still clueless as to why the internet actually cuts out whenever a USB device is plugged in/removed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what makes you think that the internet is out when you plug in anything usb...

zxcymn

zxcymn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Because my web pages stop loading, the internet signal in my system tray says the internet is out, and if I'm in-game I lose connection to the server. It's very easy to determine if a signal is out.

It only stays out for a bit. About 60 seconds sometimes more. It's still pretty annoying however. Especially if I'm in-game and winning lol.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you hard wired or wireless...

zxcymn

zxcymn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Wireless.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try using a RJ45 CAT6 or CAT5e cable and see if the problem goes away...