Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

fatal system error

• Please log in to reply

ajynxter

ajynxter

• Pip
  • 7 posts
To start off I do not know much about computers. My friend directed me to this website to obtain help. So to be honest I dont even know if I am at the right place. The reason why I am here its because my computer (Dell Dimension 2400 with windows xp home edition sp2)wont boot. After i turn on my computer everything looks normal. The windows xp logo is on the screen loading then it goes to a blue screen where I get an error message. The message read "STOP c000021a (fatal system error) The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000). I have tried to contact Dell where i got a hold of a technician who went over some regular steps to determine the issue. We tried booting from the safe mode with no result. Also tried lalst good known configuration, nothing seem to work until he told me that they could fix this issue over the phone going through some troubleshooting. the catch is my warranty has expired and i would have to pay the technical support fee of $ 236.99+ tax. I dont really have that kind of money. So obviously there is a way to go about fixing my computer without having to reinstall anything or sending it some where to get it repaired. All i know is that I am unable to access anything on my computer. According to my friend since i didnt get a reinstalling cd with my computer to repair the operating system I would have to access a partition within the hard drive to repair or try to get my hands on a reinstalling cd with windows xp home edition sp2. I really dont mind losing my data but it would be nice if theres a way to save it. I truly dont know what to do and also i cant afford to pay Dell. i hope my guardian angel is out there to help me out on this one. thanks in advance

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi ajynxter ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
your friend sent you to the right place... :)

go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetectand press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd

ajynxter

ajynxter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thaks for the warm welcoming and for the fast reply as well. I really appreciate you taking the to help me out. I believe I did everything exactly the way you explained. There was a couple of things that were different. First I got the cd. When I boot from the cd I get a blue screen "windows xp home edition setup". It gives me 2 options one is "to set up windows xp now, press ENTER". Once I press enter I get a message which reads "setup cannot find the End User Licensing Agreement". The other option available at the the setup screen is to press R for repair. So I press R where I get a black screen "microsoft windows xp recovery console". Here it prompts to log on to a windows installation which the only option is "c:\windows". So I log on this is where I type in your instructions instead of at the beginning of the boot. Also when I type chkdsk /r I don't get the blue screen like you said. Instead in the same black screen there is a message CHKDSK is checking the volume... CHKDSK is performing additional checking and recovery with a volume serial number and a percentage of completion. Once that's done all the others steps followed, after logging in each time to the windows installation, without any problems. Finally I ended up with a second option for windows operating system. I tried running the new operating system option but no luck. I got the same blue fatal system error screen. I repeated your intructions a second time just to make sure I did everything correctly. I ended up with a third option for my operating system and the same blue screen. Sorry for being a such a pain.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry ...I used the instructions for using a windows cd instead of the rc.iso (recovery console)
the rc.iso instructions tell you to press r to repair...there is really no install option only a repair option

after logging in each time to the windows installation, without any problems.

are you saying that you do get booted into into windows...
did chkdsk find and fix any errors...
what does the blue screen error say...
first lets get you able to boot into windows then we can edit the boot.ini file later to get rid of the 2 extra windows load options there...
have you tried using the arrow key to select a different windows option to boot to...try them all...

ajynxter

ajynxter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am not able to boot. What I meant when I said logging in to windows installation was that I was able to get into the installation which already exits to continue to the repair process. After I ran the CHKDSK /R and it was completed I got a message that said "CHKDSK /R found and repaired one or more errors. I have try to load all three of the windows loading options and all of them take me to the blue fatal system error "STOP c21000a fatal system error. The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
run chkdsk /r until it does not find any errors...it can take several times...
if after you do that you still can't boot then you will have to repair windows...
go here for the how to guide...

ajynxter

ajynxter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I continued to run the the CHKDSk /R until I finally got rid of all error I tried to reboot and nothing same fatal error screen. I have a question for you. Since my computer didn't come with a windows installation cd how or where would I be able to obtained this cd to repair windows????

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro...it can not be a restore disk like for dell or gateway or any others like that ...it needs to be a OEM or retail xp cd

ajynxter

ajynxter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I continued to run CHKDSK /R until I finally got rid of all error. I tried to boot all windows loading options again and I got was the fatal system error. I have a one question for you. Since my computer didn't come with a windows installation how or where would I be able to obtain this cd????

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
see post # 8

ajynxter

ajynxter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My bad!!! I was using my blackberry to post so I didnt see your first post. Still no luck with the cd. I pretty much asked everyone i now and told them to see if they could ask aruond for me as well.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have to have one to do the repair... if your computer has a restore partition...but using that puts your computer back like the day you bought it...minus all your documents pictures and music...