Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Upgrade/Replacement Querey

• Please log in to reply

Dee Daa

Dee Daa

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
My sons PC's graphic card has given up the ghost, he's been looking around and with about £50 budget he's been looking at a Nvidia 9500 GT 1gb card. I was wondering if anyone can advise if it is would it be compitable with his system. He has a Compaq pc,2 gigs ram, 3.2 ghz dual core running windows vista. Also can anyone recommend any sites in the uk where I could purchase a card at a reasonable price.

Thanks

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What is the exact make/model of your computer, or motherboard?
Does your son game often? If so, what games?

Dee Daa

Dee Daa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry... The PC is a compaq presario sr1937, I think the motherboard is RC410-M. He generally plays world of warcraft, Left 4 Dead and some other general downloaded games

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Looking at your motherboard... I can see that there is one PCI-E slot which you can use to upgrade your card. Can you make sure that the slot is open?
It looks like this:
http://www.skyline-e...s/5188-5588.jpg
It's the black port next to the 3 PCI (white) slots.

Also, look at your power supply... tell me the wattage and the amperage on the +12V rail.

Dee Daa

Dee Daa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the response looking inside the pc from your photo there's already a card there so I presume the slot must be open. Looking at the power supply +12v on the top line (output) it seems to state 19amps and further down it states 288watts where the +12v is.

I was looking at some nvidia cards over the passed few days and saw a 9500gt 512mb & 1gb are either of these two compatiable or would it damage the motherboard

Thanks in advance

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
There is nothing in the black port, right?
If there is, tell me what it is.

Tell me what the wattage of the PSU is... there should only be one value... if you are not sure, list them, or take a picture.

Also, what online computer store are you planning on buying from? Or do you just want a card suggestion?

50 pounds are about 70 USD, so I will look for some cards.
Here is one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127415
Or this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125277
Both are ATI cards.
The 9500GT 1GB cards are all right... you don't need 1GB of memory unless you play your games on high settings. 512mb should do just fine... also look for the core and memory clock speeds.

Dee Daa

Dee Daa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks again for the response I've managed to get a photo of the slot and there's already a card in which is the defunked graphics card (I think)

I tried to take a picture of the PSU but the writing on it was really small and the picture was blurred but on the box it states
Bestec
Model ATX-300-12Z Rev-CCR
INPUT 100-127v - 7A 200-240v 5A 50/60Hz
BST ATX -300 -122 CCR
OUTPUT +12V/19A -12V 0.9A
300W MAX +5V/30A -5V SB/2A
+3.3V/28A
+5V & 3.3V 180W MAX &12V 288W MAX

I wasn't sure what online store to use I've looked in Amazon and play.com and pcworld, I've had a look at those two that you said were ok but the only thing that puts me off are that they are in usa as I'm living in the uk its delivery charges, returns charges if faulty plus order tracking. However the prices on Newegg seem pretty good though

I've looked at various ones on uk sites and read feedback but got a little worried when one user stated the card had fried his motherboard, it didn't state how old his pc was or what it was.

If those you mentioned or the nvidia 9500GT's compatiable with my sons pc then I probably go with them,

Attached Thumbnails

• inside.JPG

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Newegg doesn't ship to the UK. The 9500GT is compatible with your system. Save yourself some money and get the 512MB version; the 9500GT isn't powerful enough to utilize 1GB.

I don't live in the UK, so I can't personally vouch for it, but many of our UK members seem to shop from ebuyer.com.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Save yourself some money and get the 512MB version; the 9500GT isn't powerful enough to utilize 1GB.

Thank you for that info...

The 9500GT should work with your PSU.
I would recommend this card: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169633
Or the 9500GT 512mb: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165582

zman1018

zman1018

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Wanna help with mine ill give you the specs when i get a minute like tomrow night

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
zman1018, we'll be glad to help, but please begin your own topic.

Dee Daa

Dee Daa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Guys.... Thanks for all your advice and product suggestions, bought one on sunday. Just a bit of a mind field what to look for and whats compatiable :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What card did you buy?

Dee Daa

Dee Daa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
The 512 from ebuyer, looked at others most seem pretty similar but price of that one was a bit cheaper. Didn't bother with the one gig one as mentioned by stettybet0 as wouldn't see much difference also the heat pipe fitting on it looked like it might hang out... Thanks again

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
That's a good choice... how do your games play on it?