Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Issues after Malware removal; internet, cryptsrv,

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how long did you let the test run for...
you should let it run for at LEAST 2 hours...it will run until you press the escape key and in mission critical systems you would let it run for 2 days...if it shows any errors during that time the ram has to be replaced...if its not your ram ...
I went back over this whole thread...found this...
this is from your 1st post in this topic
2. On shutdown, before a hard power down, a dialog box is displayed with the error “svchost.exe error on shutdown. The instruction as "0x73d223b5" referenced memory at "0x73d223b5". The memory could not be "written".

then this in post number #30 on page 2
Header : 'svchost.exe - Application Error''The instruction at "0x76ce2ec1" referenced memory are "0x76ce2ec1". The memory could not be "written".

and you got this several times trying the repair..
Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.'
you will need to run the repair again and this time borrow a OEM or retail xp cd of the same flavor you have installed...IE if you have XP PRO installed the cd you borrow HAS to be XP PRO

Advertisements

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Happyrock,

With the memtest, I know it ran for over an hour for sure while I was watching it. I left it unattended and when I came back, the PASS value was at 1 with a dalong box indicating the test went sucessful. I do not check how long it was running. It did look like it was rerunning the test too and I did cancel out of that. I'll rerun and let it go for a while. Also, I'm using the memtest-86 V3.5; is this the correct one?

The "svchost.exe error on memory cannot be read" has been occurring since sometime during the virus clean-up activity. I'm not sure this is what caused the error w/the Repair attempt. The log file from the Repair points to the "RPC server" not running. One of the main issue the machine was having was the whole Cryprographic Service not be able to be started and failing with the 1290 error. I know the cryptsvc process was dependent on the RPC service as well. I do know RPC was running in my attempts to start the cryptsvc service. Also, I think I've read where the MS service pack installs needs the Cryptographic service to be running in order to install in the first place and since the Crypotgraphic service has a dependency to the RPC service. wouldnt the service pack install fail too on these services not being started.

Is there a way to suspend the Repair or to boot back into Windows to validate the RPC service is started?

Also, I'll look for an actual MS OEM XP Pro CD.

Thanks,
Ken

Edited by kmarjak82, 16 August 2009 - 05:29 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you get a retail xp cd ...run the repair...it will put pristine copies of all the necessary windows files ...

kmarjak82

kmarjak82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Happyrock,

I was able to find a XP PRO OEM CD - an MSDN copy iso file. I tried the XP Repair with this CD and the same error is produced; the Repair fails due to the RPC service not running.

Also, I ran the memtest again. I notice it continues to loop through the various tests. I let this run for two full days - no errors reported.

Thanks,
Ken

Edited by kmarjak82, 22 August 2009 - 05:48 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the bios try setting the default settings...usually F5 but read the screen to be sure...
then save your settings...using F10 usually but read the screen to be sure...