Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen errow

• Please log in to reply

carolth

carolth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When ever I am away from my computer for a while, a few hours or overnight, I come back and have to sign back in. Then I get a message that says Windows has recovered from an unexpected shut down. Here is the actual problem signature:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 83711B70
BCP3: 84E51030
BCP4: 84C02B30
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini072909-01.dmp
C:\Users\Cara\AppData\Local\temp\WER-39320832-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Cara\AppData\Local\temp\WERBF54.tmp.version.txt
Can you tell me what I need to do to fix this problem? I do have the reinstall disk for windows. Thanks!! Carolth

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
You have a driver conflict on the system. Not sure which one would need the minidump files. But according to the Bug Code provided (9f) It is a Driver related issue.

http://msdn.microsof...y/ms795679.aspx

JeffM

JeffM

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I am friends with the original poster and have worked on her computer recently, clearing away viruses using MBAM. I am positive it's not a malware issue (her HJT and OTL logs are clean). You said a driver issue - that sounds about right.

Any step-by-step instruction you can give to her or me, would be great. Would like to avoid having to reinstall Vista, if possible.

Can I ask the fastest way to update the drivers on a Vista system.? I know how in XP, but am not very familiar with Vista.

Should she attach her minidump files for you to see?

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by JeffM, 31 July 2009 - 11:01 AM.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Yes a upload of the minidump files for analysis will be the easiest thing to do. Without them there is no way to know which driver is causing the issue.

The quickest way i have ever done driver updates is right by the manufacturer's website. Can check there for some and go to places like Intel, nVidia or ATi to get others.

JeffM

JeffM

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Makaveli213, thanks for the suggestion. What about this video tutorial from Microsoft themselves? Would this work well? It shows a user how to update their drivers via Windows Update with Vista:

http://go.microsoft..../?linkid=116306

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Without seeing dump files, it's hard to say what the problem is.

JeffM

JeffM

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Carol,

Go to;

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files

and attach them in your next post. You can attach files by hitting the reply button and then scroll down a bit and look for the "Browse" button, next to the green UPLOAD button. Browse for the minidump files, one at a time, and then click the green UPLOAD button. Then click "Add Reply."

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP

Makaveli213, thanks for the suggestion. What about this video tutorial from Microsoft themselves? Would this work well? It shows a user how to update their drivers via Windows Update with Vista:

http://go.microsoft..../?linkid=116306

There are only select Drivers that will update via Windows Update. For more serious ones like your chipset you will not get them on Windows Update but only form the Manufacturer's website. you will mainly only see Video Drivers, Modem and possibly Mouse and Keyboard drivers via Windows update. Almost all but the Video Drivers you will not see come up again after they are installed. So it is best to check them manually.

haziqdaM5fanatic

haziqdaM5fanatic

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well I have this problem last year when i bought my laptop...after several updates everythng turned to be owkey...

look at the dump file....