Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Shuting Off

• Please log in to reply

aiq

aiq

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I have a HP Pavilion dv6700z CTO custom build laptop. The problem I have is that, the laptop sometimes just shuts down. I haven't used it in about a month because I thought my CPU fried. Last time I was able to use it, it got very hot and just turned off. So I got mad and didn't use it until today. I just took off the battery and at first it lighted up when I turned on the laptop but turned off. But then I tried it again and it worked for about 10 seconds and turned off. And then I gave it a third try and it worked. I just turned it off because I don't feel safe using it without the battery.

Even when I ventilate the laptop, it still gets very hot for some reason.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it just turns off. What do you think the problem is? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

aiq

aiq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:).... no one could help me. Just as an update, I talked with HP and they also offered me no service. The guy (pretty sure was Indian).. was confusing and really didn't tell me anything that I didn't do already.

I would like to thank anyone in advance who could help me.... :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It feels like overheating.
Get a can of compressed air, and clean well all vents.

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

aiq

aiq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried to do that for the past day but can't. The computer won't even stay on long enough for me to actually install that program... :)... Maybe it is the motherboard, if it is THAT SUCKS!

aiq

aiq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The inside is actually still brand new and I cleaned with the compressed air, all the fans and stuff.

And when I talked to HP they told me it was the motherboard and I would have to spend it for repair... :)... I don't know weather I should take it to a local shop or what to do... I can't seem to find out the exact problem, that's why I like desktops better... :)