Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Center (the program) crashing, not usable

• Please log in to reply

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello,

Hope you can help me with this concern. It's not ultimately critical, since I installed a codec for Windows Media Player to play DVDs (K-lite codec pack). However, I'm still hoping to find an answer here.

First, this has been happening since before I installed the K-lite codec pack, so that's not it, nor has installing the pack improved my situation.

My OS, Windows XP (Media Center Edition 2005), which I just completely reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled the OS and drivers and updated to Service Pack 3, works fine. No problems with peripherals, McAfee antivirus, or anything else so far.

Media Center (the program) however, has been crashing every time I open it and try to play a video, DVD, or just about anything else. The only thing I have managed to do succesfully is look through the settings menu.

The program always worked fine before I reformatted. Bad installation? Service Pack 3 not compatible? I'm I think my computer came with the ability for Windows Media Player to play DVDs, but after the reformat/reinstall it would not. K-lite fixed this, in WMP, but Media Center is not any better. It still crashes every time I tell it to do something.

Any ideas? Is this fixable? Thanks.

Columbo45 :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try and get all the windows updates yet...

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Yes, definitely. Even Service Pack 3. I haven't noticed any trouble with SP3 yet. At first I thought it was making standby and hibernate work inconsisently, but they arer working fine now. I guess since the computer was "new" (restored) standby/hibernate just needed to be used a few times.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file

How to use Scannow sfc...

Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load....lets check to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

NOTE..the single space between sfc and /

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem....
after your done you will have to go to windows updates and get all the updates

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thank you for the information. I may try that sometime. Just the other week I reinstalled everything from the recovery CDs, so I'm not in a hurry to bugger with Windows system files right now :-) . With the K-lite codec pack. I'm able to play DVDs with WMP 11. That's good enough for now. If I decide I want Media Center working, I'll that scan you suggested.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Columbo45

Aloha :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)