Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Donated laptops will not turn on

• Please log in to reply

H. K.

H. K.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I work for a small nonprofit that has recently received a donation of Dell laptops. Most of them are in fine working order, but I'm having a problem with a few of them. I hook them up to the AC adaptor and the battery icon glows green, but when I press the power button, nothing happens. For some of them, sometimes the power turns on for a few seconds, but it then shuts off. None of these computers have operating systems yet (I'm in the process of installing Windows 2000).

Any suggestions? Maybe these laptops are just duds, but I don't want to give up on them yet.

Thanks so much for your help!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
H. K.,

The first thing I would try would be take a battery from one of the working laptops and trying it in one of the non-working ones. If it then powers up, then you know you're dealing with a battery issue. The other thing I would try is changing the AC power cord out, if you haven't tried that. Someone else may have some other suggestions, but that is at least a starting point.

H. K.

H. K.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try that out.