Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Card Question

• Please log in to reply

Rec_gamer

Rec_gamer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I have a Dell with a Intel g31/g33 chipset and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for an upgrade. I don't want to spend a lot (around $100 would be good) as I don't do hardcore gaming. But I do want to see if I can improve my integrated graphics "card." Is it worth it if I don't spend a lot?

I have a Dell Inspirion 530, Core 2 Quad, 2.4 GHz, 6 GB ram, 600 GB hard drive, and I'm running Vista.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Intel onboard graphics tend to be complete rubbish for the vast majority of uses. They make lovely processors, they make some decent motherboards but Intel's never been any good at a graphical solution. Even an ultra budget graphics card tends to be far better than any Intel solution.

Rec_gamer

Rec_gamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Neil. That is kind of what I figured but I'm not sure what to consider getting.

I also have an older Nvidia geForce 6200 256 mb but I don't even know if that would be worth putting in because it isn't great.

Any suggestions anyone?

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
The ATI Radeon 4850 is the best card you can get for around $100. That card can run pretty much all games today very well.

The only thing is that you should check if you have a sufficient psu to run it. ATI recommends at least 450 watts. You should also check if your case is big enough because the card itself is quite large. If you have a slim case, it definitely will not fit.

Rec_gamer

Rec_gamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you Numb Remxed. I appreciate the opinion. I will check my specs and, if the card will fit, I will shop around for a good price.

Thanks again.