Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Wireless Networking after Malware Removal

• Please log in to reply

HTH

HTH

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I'm hoping someone here can offer some helpful advice.

It seems my laptop is unable to connect to the Internet wirelessly after I attempted to quarantine and remove a pack of malware that installed itself recently. Everything was working perfectly until after I removed the malware. I used SuperAnitiSpyware to do it, it found a few infections, and of those, I suspect "Trojan.Agent/Gen-ProxyRedirect[SearchItPro]" the most, as SAS detected files named "LSP.dll" under this particular malware, and I'm pretty sure those can affect wireless networking. More recently, SAS currently posts a clean log, so I'm pretty sure the actual malware is gone now.

As it stands, I can still connect to the Internet and browse when using a wired connection w/ ethernet cable to connect to the LAN (so I'm still able to post here from the infected PC) However, the wireless can't get any Internet connectivity at all, (Unable to ping out to sites at all when I try from the command prompt) even though it can still connect to the WLAN (but in order to do this, I have to manually set the IP and DNS settings, if I let it automatically set them, it won't connect to the wireless network properly; I get the "limited or no connectivity" message) I suspect that the malware may have messed with the LSP/Winsock, but I'm not 100% sure.

Some things I've tried:
-LSP-Fix (says "No Problems Found")
-Winsock XP Fix (ran it and rebooted...did not solve the problem)
-Command Prompt fixes (i.e. "netsh winsock reset catalog" and "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt")
-Updating the Wireless' driver (successfully updated the driver, but still didn't solve the problem)

I would try a repair installation of Windows, but unfortunately I never got a Windows CD with my laptop when I purchased it.

Anyone able to help me out here?

Advertisements