Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to setup network printer

• Please log in to reply

DCP

DCP

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I am currently unable to add a network printer on my laptop at work.

The printer is setup on a desktop PC running XP, the desktop PC connects to the internet/network via an ethernet cable. I work in a university lab, and use the university's wireless internet.

There are two colleagues (who also use the Universities wireless internet) who were able to find and connect to the network printer. They run Vista and found the printer very easily by running the Add Printer wizard --> selected a network printer option, and added by typing \\IP_address\Printer_name information. Afterward, we went back and found that they could browse for a printer and find it that way too.

There is one other colleague running Vista also who cannot add the printer as they did, and is in the same boat as I am in.

I have tried to browse for the printer and connect to it by inputting the \\IP_address\Printer_name information as well. I also tried to add through the local printer method and added a new TCP/IP port, inputting the IP address in the Add port window, but again with no luck. We both can see and print to other printers that are on another research groups network, but not the one we are trying to setup.

Does anyone know any reason why 2 people running Vista could find the printer easily, and 2 people (1 running Vista, and 1 running XP) can not add or see the printer at all.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate hear them. Also please let me know if you need any additional information about any of the systems used.

Thanks.

Advertisements