Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning xp service pack 3 to cd

• Please log in to reply

boo5790

boo5790

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I am in need of some direction on how to burn xp service pack 3 to a cd. I am not sure of what to do once i download it. thank for any help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello boo5790...

Service Pack 3 is an executable (exe) file, so you would burn it as you would any data disk. You'll have to navigate to the file on the disk and double click on it to run the installer. Unless you are wanting to slipstream it...that's a whole new ball game.

wannabe1

boo5790

boo5790

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi wannabe1, please bare with me as i am still pretty raw with computers. So once i have downloaded service pack 3 i just click on it and run the installer and then i can just burn the program as a data disc? Seems pretty simple if thats all there is to it. thanks for replying to my post

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you don't have a burning program, download the file and save it somewhere you can find it...like the desktop. Right click on the downloaded file, point to "Send to" and choose your cd burner from the menu. Then Windows should offer to burn the disk for you.

boo5790

boo5790

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
So i dont click on it to run the installer then. it just finished downloading and i saved it to my desktop. when i right click on it and point over "send to"it doesn't show my burning program but if i open up my burning program i can see it on my desktop programs when i click create a data disc. i just want to make sure if i am supposed to click and run the installer before i burn it or just burn what i just saved to my desktop. i apologize for being somewhat confused

Edited by boo5790, 31 July 2009 - 09:36 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just burn the file you saved to your desktop.

boo5790

boo5790

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok,i will do it in the morning and i'll let you know how it goes. thank you for your patience. I appreciate it. Its a continuous learning experience when it comes to computers.

boo5790

boo5790

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi wannabe1, i just burned the file as a data disc and i guess it worked ok. It showed that it burned all 316 mb so i guess its all on the cd. i didnt put the cd in to see because i figured it would automatically start to install sevice pack3. thanks for your direction and patience with me. have a good weekend.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, it won't start automatically. If you put the disk in the drive and open the cd drive in My Computer, you should see the same icon you had on the desktop. Just double click on that to start the installation.

Glad to help! :)

boo5790

boo5790

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes you are right, it is on the cd. i guess everything is A ok. thanks very much for the help