Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble installing new vid card

• Please log in to reply

91sw20

91sw20

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I just installed my AGP geforce 6200 512mb card and I cannot get it to work. I cleared all my old ATI drivers, and installed the new card. Windows detected it and installed the driver files then prompted for reboot all as expected. During the black and white boot screen the video is distorted but readable with light and dark lines about 4mm thick running vertically on the screen. The windows logo screen has thin white lines vertically, but then when windows actually starts I lose all video output and the screen goes blank my monitor says no input signal. I can reboot into safe mode and the vertical lines are still on the screen but windows loads. If I change my display setting in safe mode to 16-bit color the lines go away. When I check settings in CMOS it says AGP 8x and I am unable to change it. my old vid card would let me change it.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers a couple times. I d/l the newest driver from nvidia website with no luck. I have tried 2 different monitors: new Hanns-g 22"LCD an an old 17" mitsubishi CRT both with the same results. I removed all nvidia drivers I put my old ATI radeon 9000 card back in and installed the drivers for that until I can figure this out.

Also I was reading my mobo manual and it says I need a 1.5v AGP card but there is no volt spec on my vid card.

I am using a Asus A7v8x-x mobo with a via chipset, AMD athlon xp 2400 2.0 processor, 1GB RAM, 450w power supply. running Windows XP ver. 2002 with SP2.

Please help!
thank you

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

From what you've told me, it sounds like the video card only runs on 0.8V. 0.8v is the standard voltage required to run x8 AGP cards but some cards are dual voltage, i.e they will work with either 0.8v or 1.5v. If your motherboard requires a 1.5v card only, then this may explain the problem you are having.

If I am right, then I advise you don't put the card back in your system as running it at too higher voltage will damage it, assuming it hasn't already done so!

The only other likely explaination is that card was faulty to begin with.

Are you able to return the card to the reseller & get a refund?

91sw20

91sw20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info. I did some more digging on the card. I found a different brand card but same GPU GeForce 6200 on tiger direct and the spec on that one states it supports .8 and 1.5v. If Im understanding right tho it should be 4x on my 1.5v mobo. Also the card is keyed for a 1.5v slot.

I sent a support request to the card manufacturer maybe they can tell me for sure.

I purchased it from newegg.com so Im sure if I can't get it to work I can get RMA this one and get another.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, let us know how you get on.