Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Taking care of your LCD Monitor?

• Please log in to reply

Libid21

Libid21

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Does anyone know how to properly take care of my LCD Samsung 21.5" monitor? I heard a while back that monitors should never be turned off. Supposedly, this allows the monitor to have a longer lifespan? I'm just wondering how to take care of my $220 purchase.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Never be turned off? That sounds weird. As long as you don't keep flicking it on and off. I turn mine off if I am going to be gone for more than an hour. I have a HP w2007.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
LCD Monitors generally last for quite a long time. If anything I think turning it off would be a good idea when it's not in use. That way the back light should live as long as possible.

My older desktop has been using an LCD for about 4 years now, and it still works just fine. I do recommend keeping it at it's native resolution, that should make it live as long as possible.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I have heard argument for both ways, leaving it on all the time and turning it off. I personally turn mine off only if it will be more then a day with out use. Mechanically though it would make more sense to regularly turn it off to preserve the backlight, which is the main point of failure over the long term.

We have some LCD monitors at work that haven't been turned off in five + years and they work fine.

Libid21

Libid21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I think I'm just going to turn it off overnight when I'm sleeping.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
That should work fine. Like I said, LCD monitors generally last fairly long so you shouldn't have much to worry about :)

Libid21

Libid21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I get this error message whenever I try to start Adobe Photoshop CS4.

http://img200.images...92/errorkim.jpg

It's a whole screenshot, so I decided not to post it. But I installed the digital drivers (not the analog though, but my brother said the analog is just for controls) of this Samsung, which is the SyncMaster 2233SW 21.5".

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Try posting in the "Hardware, Components and Peripherals" forum. Someone there should be able to help you and get it fixed.

Bryan_Jovi

Bryan_Jovi

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
who said that you mustn't turn off your LCD?
with LCD turned off you'll get a longer LCD lifespan

zarby

zarby

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yeap, turning it off for a protracted period is a good idea to prevent the backlight from burning prematurely. Switch off the LCD after a prolong period of inactivtity e.g. overnight.

Zarby

eriol8

eriol8

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Good ideas