Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Mouse and Keyboard

• Please log in to reply

obsidianx

obsidianx

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I am looking to upgrade my ancient mouse and keyboard for my father. He uses it strictly for typing so it does not need too many added features, what is most important is the "comfort" factor and quality. I have been trying to limit it down and have come up with two options the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000 or the Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave Pro. What are your thoughts about these devices and do you recommend that I check out any others? Thanks.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I would not pretend to think I could buy or even recommend the best mouse or keyboard for anyone, except me. Those are two of the three primary HIDs - human interface devices - the monitor being the third, and as such, are as individual as the users. You need to take your father to Best Buy or the like and let him touch and feel for himself. Some folks don't like the wavy feel of some ergonomic boards and some are so big, they leave no room for the mouse on the keyboard tray or desk top. Is you dad a southpaw? Some (left and right) don't like the "contoured" mouse feel, and prefer those that "fit" the same in either hand. I'm right handed, BTW, but prefer to use my mouse with my left hand, and as such, do not like a mouse made for right hand use.

He will be confused because it is confusing - there are way too many to choose from. So you can help narrow it down. Start by seeing if a bigger or smaller keyboard will do better than he has now. If he is used to clicking icons on his desktop, it is not likely he will change habits simply because the keyboard now has a button to press - and likely won't if he can type without looking down at his fingers all the time. So buying a keyboard dozens of extra buttons he will never use is a waste of money and desktop space.

If there is nothing wrong with the keyboard now, and he has no problem with it, then don't change. If that is a wired ball mouse, then a new optical mouse is due - as long as he has a smooth, uniform color surface to work on.

Wireless is much more convenient, when it works. And when it doesn't, it can be a bear. So no one should be without a wired spare. And depending on how old his PC is, most keyboards today are USB, and may or may not come with PS/2 adapters.

If you have more questions, please provide some details about his computer, and operating system.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have already sent him to Bestbuy to see what my be a good fit for him. Unfortunately, I can't go with him because we live in different states. He has to replace his keyboard because his pre-existing wireless keyboard and mouse are causing interface issues and creating a blue screen notice, at least that is what the repair shop said where he took it to. He wanted to replace his keyboard because of this issue. He is running a Dell Dimension E310, I'm not sure of the stats for it but I'm pretty sure it is a generic build for it.

You are right, we all prefer different devices, I myself prefer a trackball mouse over the traditional approach. I was looking for a mouse and keyboard that offer some comfort because my father is going into his retirement years soon and has a bit of arthritus. He said he is looking for a keyboard that is not much bigger then his current keyboard. He said that the ergonomic layout seemed to be a bit more comfortable. Also, the quick keys aren't a big deal either way. They would be nice to have but aren't worth it if there was a big different in price. This is about how far I have been able to limit the selection so far. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a wired keyboard and mouse to test this out with. Any recommendations?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I myself prefer a trackball mouse over the traditional approach.

And trackballs are often preferred by seniors with stiff hands, and little ones still building hand-eye coordination.

My wife has the MS 6000 wireless keyboard and mouse and love them. I might suggest you set a budget, then look at what's available.