Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with stuck screws in Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Un1234l

Un1234l

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a IIRC 2005/2006 build of a Compaq Presario R4000 Notebook PC.

Back in May when I wanted to clean the dust out of my fans, apply new thermal paste, upgrade my memory, and all that other jazz, I brought the screwdriver out to disassemble my PC. I was following the removal procedures from my laptop's product manual (link here). On the second step, I was stumped.

Please refer to the manual if you need to have a good image of my system.

Even with the help of 3 friends, we couldn't get one of the hard disk screws to turn, though other screw was fine. The bottom-left screw is wedged in there (page 97/221 in the manual). Its head isn't stripped, but the threads could be. We suspected that:
  • the threads are rusted
  • the threads are stripped
  • the threads got welded together to the PC due to high temperatures
  • my brother tightened the screw too much during the last disassembly date
So one day I bought WD40 after hearing that it could solve my problem.

It didn't.

As well, MORE screws are like that. Since I can take off the cover of the external memory module (page 101), I have access to a fan screw that won't turn. Some on the exterior as well. Not one of them would budge. And I made the hard disk problem worse by stripping the head of the screw.

I do not want to use the superglue + screwdriver method, or a dremel (Dremel's impossible to use for my laptop's design). I tried looking for a screw extractor small enough for my laptop's screw AND case design.. and no luck.

I would really appreciate some good advice. I'm really mentally exhausted from this.

Advertisements

117KILLER117

117KILLER117

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Pictures would help

Un1234l

Un1234l

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Very in-depth and detailed images are found in the product manual I linked to in the first post.

Again though, the link is here: http://h10032.www1.h...l/c00364919.pdf

As no one seems to be able to help, maybe it would help if I said it this way:

I'm wishing to take a stuck screw out of a recessed hole on my Laptop PC. I cannot use a powerdrill or anything that vibrates as I am afraid it will damage the hard disk, or damage my PC.