Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen after Windows loads

• Please log in to reply

roll

roll

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

Today I tried to reinstall my Nvidia drivers (not update them, just reinstall them), then the computer restarted, then nothing showed up after the Windows XP loading screen.

I hear skype connecting to my account, but the screen is all black so I don't see anything.

I tried to disconnect my monitor of the video card exit and plug the monitor in my Motherboard graphic exit, but then when I turn on the PC it makes one long bip and two short bips, like "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep be-beep".

I reconnected the monitor to the graphic card exit again and tried these two options:

"safe mode" and "enable VGA"

When I choose them, the display shows up instead of being a black screen, BUT, my keyboard and my mouse (I tried with a standard one and a USB one) don't work!!!

This is very frustrating

How can I solve this problem? Or at least how can my keyboard/mouse get reconized in safe mode so I can try to solve my problem alone?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
1 long, 2 short beeps Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information ...
unplug computer from the wall...open case and remove the video card...
plug the monitor to your mobo video connector...plug in computer and try booting...

roll

roll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Tried it, but my keyboard and mouse aren't reconized (while they worked before I tried to reinstall the drivers), even in safe mode and in VGA. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try connecting your keyboard and mouse to a different computer to make sure they work...
just so I'm clear on whats happening...
when you boot up or try to ...you see stuff on the screen...yes ?
if so then you can't do anything else because your keyboard and mouse don't work...yes?
if both of those are yes then go into the bios and set the bios to safe or optimized...usually its F5 but you will have to read the screens to make sure...then you would press F10 (usually) to save the settings ...read the screens to make sure..
you get into the bios by tapping the delete key as soon as you power up...or sometimes on the first screen you see it will say press F 2 for settings...press whatever key it says to press...you only have about 2 seconds to do it or it will continue trying to boot normally..
if you have confirmed that the keyboard is good on a different computer and you can't do anything at all to get into the bios...your mobo is bad