Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashing (Even while not gaming now)

• Please log in to reply

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I made a topic a few days ago about my computer crashing while gaming and Broni helped me out trying to figure it out. But now I'm starting to see that it's no longer a gaming issue, my computer goes to the blue screen frequently even while not gaming.

After all of that I tried to do a little more on my own. I attempted to reinstall the game only to find that my Hard drive no longer reads my CD-ROM disk after a few attempts(and it used to), I checked for scratches and dust, and there wasn't any.

I checked the hard drive for errors as well as defragged. Everything turned out clean. I also went ahead and updated my Chipset drivers to the latest version, as well as my video card drivers. The computer still crashes.

On my last thread Broni mentioned that my CPU temperatures were okay so I don't think overheating is an issue here. Could it be faulty RAM? Or is it my PSU? I only started having this issue after replacing my generic brand 400W Hercules for a 430W Antec due to it going out. But technically this power supply is supposed to be better than the last, why have these problems? I would appreciate any help, thank you. =)

Advertisements

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Did you run Memtest to check if the RAM is okay?

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
That's the only thing I haven't done and I think I will do that and keep this topic updated with any information I get on it.

*Edit* How exactly do I go about running the program? I hear that you need to run it through a disc. I have MagicISO, is it possible to copy ISO images onto Blank CDROMS from there and boot the program? Not sure exactly how to run memtest.

Edited by Rx7_HKS, 01 August 2009 - 06:05 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Alright so I just finished running Memtest and after letting it run for exactly 2 hours it completed 2 passes with no errors at all. I'm glad it has nothing to do with memory, but what can it be now?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To test the stability of your system, download and install OCCT. Then run its Power Supply test for a full hour (it should be set to run for an hour by default). Make sure the fullscreen checkbox is checked. Let us know if the test is able to successfully complete.

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hmm, it won't let me click on the 'Power Supply' section. It also noted before I opened up the program that I don't have DirectX9 Installed therefore a few tests can't be ran as well as needing to have Nivida8 or something of that sort to run the memtest.

*Edit* Scratch that. I just updated to DirectX9 and the Power Supply option is now available. I will keep this topic updated soon as the test finishes with updates...

Edited by Rx7_HKS, 01 August 2009 - 11:01 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What video card do you have?

Actually, it would be useful if you could list all your system specs.

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
One more question... I just bought this PSU last week and in hopes that if this is the problem, I'd like to return it for a better one. OCCT just warned me that this test is hard on the PSU... :) Should I worry about it frying or am I okay to run the test?

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'll list my specs gladly:

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 GHz 2.40GHz
Memory(RAM): 4.00GB DDR2
System Type: Windows Vista 32-Bit OS
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD3800 Series 512MB
Power Supply Unit: Antec 430W(Previously Hercules400W)
Motherboard: ECS P55G Chipset: NVIDIA Geforce 7050, Southbridge: nForce 610i
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Thanks. Could you clarify two things for me.

1. Could you give us the make and model of your RAM?
2. In your last topic, you state you have an ATI HD3650. That is not in the HD3800 series... Could you clarify which graphics card you actually have?

As for the PSU test, it simply runs the CPU test and GPU test at the same time. It draws a lot of power, but it won't cause your PSU to "fry" unless your PSU is defective.

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
That was my mistake, it's 3800 Series. As for the RAM I'm not so sure what the make and model of it is, it doesn't give me a make and model when I look around at the hardware descriptions of my CPU, and I can't remember off of the top of my head what the brand was when I got it. It definately wasn't anything top of the line or popular like Corsair or anything like that I'll tell you that much. I'm going to go ahead and run the OCCT PSU test and keep this topic updated.

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Alright, so I just completed the OCCT Power Supply Unit Test and it came back with no errors. I have the graphs as well if you'd like to view them, just ask for them and I can have them available in an attachment.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, the good news is that just about rules out a hardware issue or an overheating issue.

The bad news is, of course, your computer is still crashing I presume. Answering a few questions will help us better diagnose the problem:

• Is there any thing you do in particular that seems to trigger these crashes?
  • What were you doing the last few times it crashed?
  • How long is your computer typically on before it crashes?
  • Does it always go to a blue screen when it crashes?
  • What error(s) does the blue screen give?
  • What particular game were you playing when these problems began?

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

* Is there any thing you do in particular that seems to trigger these crashes?
* What were you doing the last few times it crashed?
* How long is your computer typically on before it crashes?
* Does it always go to a blue screen when it crashes?
* What error(s) does the blue screen give?
* What particular game were you playing when these problems began?

* To the first question, the crashes have been occuring mostly when gaming, happening at random times, sometimes right away, other times the latter. It didn't worry me too much until it started happening even while not gaming, again, random occurences.

* The last few times it crashed I was simply booting my computer and after logging into my profile it went to the blue screen and restarted again. I remember it crashing again during the installation of my graphics card drivers - blue screen instant restart.

* It can be on for a very long time or not very long at all. One thing I've noticed is that it has not crashed at all when I'm not actively using it and just let it sit. I've also tried to monitor any patterns when gaming with the crashes(used to help me alot on older PC's to determine temperature issues.), but they're quite random.

* When I'm gaming it's a 50/50 chance that it will either go to the blue screen or simply freeze in place with sounds and graphics stuck in motion(very annoying especially when your sound is turned up high). When its crashed and not gaming it always hits the blue screen however.

* I've tried to see what the blue screen says but I don't get very much time to read it as the PC reboots itself almost shortly after reaching the blue screen.

* The game in question is World of Warcraft.

It strikes me very odd as I've not had any of these problems up until I changed my PSU. My last PSU just suddenly gave out on me while gaming with no warning whatsoever and never worked again. It lasted me almost a year. I suppose it's not bad since I checked prices on it and it's about a 7-10$ PSU.

Anyway, I hope the information I've provided you with so far is of any help in debunking the problem, and sorry for the problems I'm causing here. =/

*Edit1* Okay!! As I attempted to log into a second profile on my PC I got crashed into the blue screen and managed to read part of the error. I only read the first bit but it looked a little something like:

Irql_not less... equal or something like that. That's about what I managed to catch on the error. Hopefully it's something to go by!

Edited by Rx7_HKS, 02 August 2009 - 04:51 AM.