Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blocked by scam

• Please log in to reply

Steve39900

Steve39900

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi ... I know that most of you who are computer savvy are going to look at this and sigh "idiot", but ....
I have installed (I thought it was a game) something on my laptop which immediately upon opening has blocked my computer.
There is a blue screen with the basic text that my computer is blocked and I need to send an SMS to a particular number - there is a drop box with different numbers for different countries - to in turn receive a code back that will enable me to unlock.
Clearly if I do that it will cost me (perhaps heavily) without any guarantee that the problem will resolve.
This screen does not allow me any access to any other functions.
It will not allow the Task Manager to appear.
I have three user accounts on the computer .. the two with Administrator privileges bring up the blue screen and nothing else and the other guest account has no desktop or taskbar at all .. gone.
I have tried opening in Safe Mode and the same blue screen and script appears.
If anyone can assist I will be eternally grateful.

Advertisements