Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SpeedFan won't detect fans on Alienware m17x

• Please log in to reply

Dezpada

Dezpada

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
How can I solve this problem? For some reason, this monster laptop runs kinda warm, and I'm trying to maintain it's temperature to a constant, but I can't do it with the fans not showing up on the list for me to configure. Please help me solve this problem.

What will I need to show, and how can I show it to aid the process?

Thank you.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

For some reason, this monster laptop runs kinda warm

That's the nature and biggest disadvantage of notebook - no matter how much the makers make the claim, notebooks don't make good gaming machines because they just cannot put the cooling needed inside those compact cases.

You machine should have come with a utilities disk. See if there is HW monitoring program from the maker. Also, you can try CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs or Motherboard Monitor.

You might also check out a Notebook Cooling Pad w/ext. power supply

Dezpada

Dezpada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, if I can, I'd perfer to install a heat sink. Can you do the research for me and find out the size needed for the heat sink? I'd do it myself, but I'm extremely new at hardware.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Install a heat sink? You don't do that with notebooks - you are stuck with what you have. Heat sinks are big, the size of a tennis ball and bigger. All you can do is keep the system free of heat trapping dust, as much as the proprietary case design allows you, and keep cool air flowing around it. The other solution is to use the notebook as notebooks were intended, as a mobile tool for work and school projects, then buy a PC for a game machine.

Dezpada

Dezpada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yeah, I was thinking of getting that one, or something like it. I just like one that will keep my computer from exceeding 50C, but it's hard to find...

Can you help me find one? The m17x's fans/vents are at the...hm...how do I put it...

When you open the laptop, your arms are at two corners when you type, there are two vents opposite these corners, and right there on the bottom of the laptop itself, all on that one side of the laptop. Can you help me look for one that will fit that spot?

Edit: I took two crappy pictures from my phone, but I think it gets the point across. The first one is the very back of the laptop (if the laptop isn't opened) and the second one is the bottom of the laptop that has the back of the laptop in view.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edit 2: I got better pictures of the actual laptop itself. Hopes this helps.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Dezpada, 02 August 2009 - 04:47 PM.