Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 dial-up ISP and 1 ADSL2 ISP in the same house...

• Please log in to reply

Lagsta

Lagsta

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We've had cable internet with Telstra for about 6 years now and decided to change to iinet because it's faster and gives us much more downloads than what we've been getting, and quite frankly, we feel ripped off.

My mum's had an email account set up with Telstra for all this time and she doesn't want to lose the email when we disconnect them. I suggested that we downgrade our cable connection down to the cheapest plan they have available, that's a $10p/month dial-up deal. That means she'll be able to keep her email address.

So would we still be able to connect to ADSL2 with iinet if we're connected to dial-up with Telstra?

We're essentially having 2 ISPs coming into the 1 house so that's what I'm not to sure about, although from my understanding dial-up just goes through the phone line (our phone is connected with telstra).

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most dial-up internet accounts revert to a pay-as-you-go ideal, which would mean you can keep the email providing you dial into the account once every 90 days. You need to contact the provider to verify this before you go ahead as some may just close the account.