Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TDI.sys corrupt file, Can not run chkdsk

• Please log in to reply

Yansy

Yansy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, something happened in my laptop, DELL Inspiron 6000 and I receive a message The file or directory c:windows/system32/driers/tdi.sys is corrupt and unreadable Please run the CHKDSK, From time to time it also says rdbss.sys and same message.
I tryed everything ro run the chkdsk /r /x and still does not work
It says something NTFS and below, can not open volumen.
I do not have the original cd for windows.I bought the computer directly from DELL and I don't have the original CD.
What Can I do? I can not connect to internet from my laptop and that message is getting me crazy.

Thanks
By the way I have Service Pack 3 installed, intel pentiym 1.50Ghz, 1GB RAM

Edited by Yansy, 02 August 2009 - 01:09 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There seems to be a Recovery Partition on your system since you do not have the recovery cd's.

There are three options available that you can try.

Complete recovery of system back to factory defaults(this will cause the loss of all data)
Possibly you may be able to do a Non Destructive restore which should keep your existing data

Possible Malware Infection

To make sure what we are dealing with is the system capable of booting into windows?

If yes then I suggest the following step first.

Restart the laptop and by pushing:
The key combination is CRTL + F11 at the same time at the the Dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them. It should go into the Recovery Partition so you can do a system restore.

If this is not possible or not an option for you yet then please do the next step first

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just thought of something that may allow you to run chkdsk outside of Windows

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

Download Windows Recovery Console HERE
Download, and install free Imgburn
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
Report any errors