Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

acer 24x10x40 CDRW

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

HungryMan

HungryMan

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
quite a few years back i bought a cd burner the acer 24x10x40 cdrw drive. i bought it at a computer show as new to find out it was a refurbished burner. anyway it worked ok from the beginning i mean it was never a great burner. but it has since all but stopped working, most of the time it will not read and it will never burn anymore. even the button to open and close it does not always work. but i can right click and tell it to eject just fine. now i know the first suspect would be wear and tear but if i thought hard enough i could count the number of cds that have been burned with it (because of its shoddy performance). my idea was new firmware but i can not seem to find any.

you have any suggestions as to what i can do to try and get this drive to work?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Scrap it. Updating the firmware isn't going to fix the fact that the button's stuck and the lasers are worn out. Nothing lasts forever. As it was refurbished in the first place you'll never know how much use it had before you had it.

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
well the button works...most of the time. but you say firmware will not maybe at least get it back to reading. it always did read fine.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I'm with Neil on this one. I will be absolutely amazed if upgrading the firmware (assuming that any upgrades even exist) fixes your problems. You could try a laser cleaning disc but they're pretty useless much of the time & won't fix a worn out laser, only a dirty one so probably a waste of money.

Given the price of new burners, just buy another one. Better yet, you may as well invest in a DVD-RW instead as they're about the same price these days.

HungryMan

HungryMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
yeah i have a dvd burner but i am building a computer for the little brother and wanted to put the acer in it but i guess that would be a no go. got no job right now so it will have to wait. thanks for the advice.

topic can be closed