Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DROPPED CONNECTION & CAN'T FIND ADDRESS

• Please log in to reply

nmschmidt

nmschmidt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am new to this forum and looking for some advise to get a handle on this problem. I was heading for a new router and then thought that some forum input would be helpful to confirm a solution.

Have a two computer LAN using a 3 year old Linksys Wireless Access Point & Router Model BEFW 11S4 V.2 (WEP KEY is mandatory on the wireless network). Have turned FIREWALLS off (Windows XP and Norton Security) on both PCs.

Both PC are fairly new Dells and both run XP Home Edition. The network has been operating for 3 years without major problems. Have DSL through Qwest (phone company) and the modem is an Arescom.

Problems with DESKTOP. Mostly Using Firefox 1.0.4. Ethernet to router. When browsing to new location, I sometime get the message “unable to find _______.com”. I listen to Sirius Satellite Web Radio while browsing and it stays constant on, so it seems like the DSL is active. My usual solution is to wait ( a couple of minutes) and try again with another web address. Or I have had success by logging on the router (doing a DGCP renew and SETUP seems to get all well again).

Problems with LAPTOP. Mostly Using IE 6.0. Wireless to router. Several times a day, get a dropped connection from the network. Remedy seems to go into My Network Connections and do a REPAIR which solves the problem.

These two problems are becoming high maintenance with frequent FIXES during the day. With the costs of routers down, maybe it is time for a new router. Comments and suggestions most appreciated. Thank you.

Nick in Denver

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Have you contact Linksys tech support?

nmschmidt

nmschmidt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Not yet. I think I might the get usual "finger pointing" at other causes. I hope to get some direction from this Post.

An added new event, is I upgraded to the new Firefox 1.0.4 which came out today. While I do not understand all that it fixes, I get the idea that some issues with Java has caused a problem in connections to certain sites. If so, this may trigger the disconnect on my other wireless connection. SO........ since that upgrade earlier today, I have not had the problems. This may be wishfull thinking. I will POST back if it works.

I would still appreciate any other suggestions. Thank you.

Nick from Denver

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
You should do some homework on the update you just installed. It maybe, just like you are thinking, a fix for a problem reported. "A patch to fix a patch, or something like that. I hope you dont have anymore problems

Have a nice day in Denver