Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slow after WoW crash

• Please log in to reply

DDLuna

DDLuna

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, after playing the World of Warcraft Trial for a few hours my computer gave me a blue screen saying there was a video driver issue. I updated my driver but now now my comp runs VERY slowly even locking up if I try to run or open anything. It works fine in Safe Mode.

I have tried reinstalling driver and system restore but it still runs slow/locks up showing a constant CPU usage of around 20% on my G15 keyboard. Also,I have recently been helped by JSntgRvr to remove any viruses and my computer had ran great up until I played the Trial. I have not found any other viruses with scans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Try rolling back to the driver you were using before you played the WoW trial, and see if it works. Sometimes newer drivers are buggy and can cause the PC to run slower.

DDLuna

DDLuna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Tried, still no luck and now I'm having issues with desktop icons and taskbar not loading in normal mode.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
What kind of video card are you using? What kind of issues with desktop icons, like they aren't showing up or they look distorted?

Also, do you remember anything about what the BSOD said when your computer crashed?

edit: spelling

Edited by mpascal, 03 August 2009 - 05:40 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

DDLuna

DDLuna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Unfortunately I have another prob now. I tried to do the repair re-install that you have here and my comp lost power after it re-booted and was in the process of installing windows. I tired to upgrade again but all it does is keep rebooting. Any way to finish the repair install or am I stuck having to do a fesh install and losing any files I couldn't back up?

Edited by DDLuna, 03 August 2009 - 08:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First issue is to get your data backed up. To do this follow the next steps and let us know when you have the data safe and backed up. Then we will proceed with trying to either repair your installation or doing a fresh install.

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

DDLuna

DDLuna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ok installed and running. Don't want to mess anything up so how do I find my files and back them up to my external drive with it? I don't see the data anywhere.

I clicked the "drives" icon and it shows my 500g HD has 472.1g ntfs. Does that mean my files were deleted? I had a little over 200g used up on it. Also not reading my external drive. Want to say thanks for the help your giving me too.

Edited by DDLuna, 03 August 2009 - 01:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can see the drive you should be able to browse it for any files.

DDLuna

DDLuna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ok found them :) Didn't want to touch anything until I heard back from you. Was able to get my external working too. Now what is the best way to back up?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Depends on the amount of data you need to backup
If you have the external drive working can you create a folder named backup and use it?
If not then you can use a cd or dvd

DDLuna

DDLuna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I was able to create a "Backup" folder and I have over 600g free on external. So plenty of space for whole HD (using around 250g) if I have to.

Edited by DDLuna, 03 August 2009 - 05:11 PM.

DDLuna

DDLuna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I'm still stuck on what is a good way to back up. Any suggestions or just copying files over?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Copy and paste everything to external drive in the now created backup folder you made.
Verify contents are there before we proceed any further so we know data files are safe.

DDLuna

DDLuna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm not quite understanding how to copy and paste with "puppy". I am right clicking on a folder named sda2 (my HD) and there is a "copy" option, it brings up a box and I type in where my back up folder in external drive is "/mnt/sdf1/Backup" and hit the copy button and it says " '/mnt/sdf1/Backup' already exists-merge contents? ". Is that correct or am I doing it the wrong way?

Also, I was not able to bring up the "Xorg" version of "puppy" am I missing options because of that?