Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Issue. Screen turns on then goes black

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I did not touch anything or do anything to the computer. I was using it on my desktop and all of a sudden the screen goes black. Its not the computer itself. I hooked the monitor up to my laptop, the desktop appears then goes black. I changed the power cord, same thing. Power light is on, just the screen remains black.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Could it possibly be a cable connection problem?

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
It is def not the computer itself. I hooked the computer up to my tv monitor and everything works fine. I then hooked the monitor up to the computer for dual mode and it faintly showed the desktop then went back to black. I'm now going to assume a power inverter problem maybe?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Good evening, brettxw.

So let me get this straight before we proceed...

Your monitor goes black after being used for only a bit of time. You have replaced the power cord which has not helped. In addition, you have taken your PC out of the equation by using another screen as a monitor --- no problems are experienced.

If this is true then you have found the troublemaker... Sounds like the monitor is going bad. Is it a flat panel LCD or a bulky CRT monitor? How old is the monitor?

You have done well by performing troubleshooting thus far. Let's tie some loose ends.

Look forward to the response :)

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Thanks for helping. It goes black with in a second. It shows faintly then the next second black.

Yes, replaced the power cord and hooked to another PC and still does it. It is a 22" DCLCD monitor. Got it about 4 yrears ago.

Could it be the VGA cable. or whatever it is called?

Good evening, brettxw.

So let me get this straight before we proceed...

Your monitor goes black after being used for only a bit of time. You have replaced the power cord which has not helped. In addition, you have taken your PC out of the equation by using another screen as a monitor --- no problems are experienced.

If this is true then you have found the troublemaker... Sounds like the monitor is going bad. Is it a flat panel LCD or a bulky CRT monitor? How old is the monitor?

You have done well by performing troubleshooting thus far. Let's tie some loose ends.

Look forward to the response :)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I suppose it COULD be the VGA cable. However, if that cable worked when you plugged in the other monitor then it is extremely unlikely that this is the cause.

It sounds like the backlight within the LCD is about to die. I have encountered a few which did the same thing as you explain... The LCD seems fine for a minute and then goes black or displays very faint, dark text and images.

Sadly if your LCD is four years old it is probably out of warranty coverage.

If you have plugged in a different monitor than the one giving you problems and everything is fine, then that tells you that there is something wrong with the monitor. I personally think it has hardware failure. Sorry friend, my suggestion is to purchase another as repair would cost you more than the hardware is worth. I never like to recommend spending money but I think it's your only option in this case. You have ruled everything else out and it looks like the LCD is your issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to clarify anything.

Good luck! :)

Vincent4989

Vincent4989

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i'm also having the same problem!

HELP!!!
The screen turns black then goes normal and turns black again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Vincent4989

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved. This topic has not been responded to since August of this year so it's highly doubtful you would receive any assistance.
Also by bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.