Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Loving BSOD!

• Please log in to reply

Old Griff

Old Griff

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

My neighbor attempted to go see Erin Andrews (I know) and has screwed up his computer. I went over and can see the drive in the BIOS, have done the system check of the hard drive and it passed. If I attempt to boot Windows XP it BSOD's referring to a Logon process issue and hangs.

I then attempted to boot from his installation CD and when I get to the point of trying to launch Recovery, it dies saying :No hard drive found". Same if I attempt to reinstall the OS, it says it cannot find a hard drive although the Dell Diagnostics can see and test the hard drive from the utility partition.

I went as far as pulling the drive out of his computer , taking it home and slaving it on my system and, I can see the files on the disk just fine.

Any clues as to what to attempt next? Since I cannot boot an OS on that system, I was wondering if there is any hope of fixing this,

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Ed

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello there, and Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

First of all, since you still have his hard disk, I would ask him what files are dear to him and back those up. The fact that the dell diagnostics cannot find the hard drive is a worrying fact.

Is this a SATA Drive?
What CD did you use to try and get to the recovery console?
Did you write down what STOP code the BSOD gave?

Regards,
Olrik

Old Griff

Old Griff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I already carved out his critical files, Dell diagnostics DOES recognize the hard drive from the utility partition. Unfortunately when trying to recover or reinstall windows from the DELL disc that came with the system or my own copy of Windows XP, they both failed with the same error, iirc, xc0000005 was the stop code. It dies in logon process, however when reinstalling or trying to recover it tells me it cannot find the hard drive.

Interesting tidbit, I built a bootable CD with Bart PE, works fine on my system, on his system, there is no mouse or keyboard support. Very weird.

Edited by Old Griff, 03 August 2009 - 12:21 PM.