Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

proxy server and security combination

• Please log in to reply

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I just wanted to know how safe a proxy server program is and the purpose of one. If you think I should get one which one do you think I should get? Also right now I have AVG, Windows Firewall, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes Antimalware, OpenDNS and Spyware Blaster. I also have Mozy which is a online data backup service. I know I am going to switch to a different firewall I just want to wait until a get done with my open malware topic. What firewall do you think I should switch to? Do you think I should add any programs? If so, what is the purpose? All these programs are the free version do you think I should purchase the paid version for any program. If so, what would it add to my protection and what features are better? I update all my programs manual and AVG automatically does. I do full scans with AVG, MBAM, and SuperAntispyware at least once a week if not more.

Thanks,
heat123

Edited by heat123, 03 August 2009 - 07:29 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for home use...the only purpose that a proxy server offers is the ability to hide your system's public ip address from the destination....other than that....not much... and even then...a very small amount of computer kung-fu can allow the destination to see your real IP

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
What do you mean exactly by computer kung-fu? So basicially there is not much of a point to use one of these?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
computer kung-fu as in some special tools and other such things...

for the home user a proxy server doesn't offer you any protection from infection or identity theft

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
All the programs you have listed should keep your system clean if you do regular scans and are aware of your downloading / internet usage. A proxy server really isn't meant for a home environment, it's more of a business server.

If you need a new firewall, both these are good choices:

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I just wanted to know how safe a proxy server program is and the purpose of one. If you think I should get one which one do you think I should get?

You may want to take a look at TOR.

http://www.torprojec...html.en#Warning

Please read all relevant documentation before installing and configuring TOR.