Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Son's Laptop

• Please log in to reply

guitwiz

guitwiz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi,
We bought our son a new compaq laptop with windows vista in March.
His free subscription to Norton ended and he got the Personal Antivirus Virus. I got rid of that for him and put Avast on. But before I give him the laptop back, I would like to make it so that he cannot download and install any programs or toolbars. I'd also like to restrict him from viewing objectionable content. Should I make myself the administrator and have him login as a user with restricted access, or? If so, what's the best way to do that? I don't want to completely ruin his surfing experience, just want to take the 'bad' stuff not suitable for kids out. And I want to make it more difficult for him to 'gunk things up' or slow the computer down due to him not reading and ignoring checked boxes before hitting the 'ok' button etc.
Thanks in advance!

:)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
make a computer safe for a teen? best way is to bury it in the back yard under about 3 feet of concrete...

your idea of making yourself the admin and him a restricted user is definitely the quickest method to stop a lot of installs and things (make sure he's a restricted user and not a power user...power users can still install some things)

for the internet control..you should look around for parental control software....like netnanny or something similar...i've never used any such programs so i can't really make any good recommendations...but there are a many types available