Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista side-by-side configuration errors

• Please log in to reply

GJMPL

GJMPL

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys,

Got a problem with my father's brand new Dell laptop. I'm not sure what caused the problem in the first place but now he is receiving side-by-side configuration errors on almost all of his applications. IE 64-bit still operates normally which would suggest it is only the 32-bit apps that are generating the errors.

Upon trailing the net looking for a solution to the issue I have followed the advice and downloaded the vcredist_x86 and vcredist_x64 files for re-install. However, neither of these work, giving me the same side-by-side error as the original non-functional apps. I have seen a post on another forum stating that this may be because even the 64-bit version of the VC Redistributable file has a 32-bit self-extractor.

I have also tried running sfc /scannow and it said that it had found files but was unable to repair them.

I have seen one or two other people posting posting this same issue but with no solutions to be found. Have contacted Dell but with absolutely no success - the extended 4-year warranty does not cover software and the problem is chargeable. Can anybody help?...

Thanks

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I think, you spoke to some idiot.
Your computer is under warranty, and it's not working properly, so it's Dell's business to fix it.