Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Error

• Please log in to reply

hoodphoto

hoodphoto

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yesterday I moved, and turned off my laptop (which I usually dont do. I usually close it and leave it in sleep mode). When I turned off the laptop, it had 3 Windows updates that finished installing before turning itself off.

Later I go to turn on the laptop, and it wont start Windows. It goes past the "COMPAQ" load screen, then to a black screen that reads "Windows Error Recovery. Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

It also says to insert the Windows install disc and choose "fix". However, I do not have the install disc, as Vista came installed on the laptop when I purchased it. The only other options it gives it to hit ENTER or ESC, which both restarts the computer, back to the COMPAQ screen and back to the error screen.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration?

hoodphoto

hoodphoto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It wont give me that option at all (usually when the computer is shut down incorrectly, it asks about starting in safe mode.) Since it isnt booting any Windows functions, it hasnt gone far enough to get to that option... unless there is a shortcut key I can hit on the "COMPAQ "screen before getting to the error page???

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Restart computer, and keep tapping F8 key until menu appears.

hoodphoto

hoodphoto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I will try this tonight after work. Thanks for your help so far!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
:)

hoodphoto

hoodphoto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I got home I tried the suggestion of hitting F8 to restore to a previous point, but it wouldnt even bring up the menu.

HOWEVER, I did find this Vista Recovery Disc download, followed the easy instructions, and was able to repair the damage. I am happily typing this response on my now-working laptop!!!

http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes, very good tool :)
I'm glad to see you back in business...