Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best Free AV

• Please log in to reply

Kyleweatherly93

Kyleweatherly93

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey guys. I don't have any money to pay for a AV so i was wondering what you guys thought was the best FREE AV and Firewall for my net book??? anything helps. thanks again...

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi Kyle and welcome to GeeksToGo! I have moved your thread from the Malware area to the Applications (software) area, as this is where it best fits. The Malware forum is only for help with infected computers. :)

In my humble opinion, I would go with either Avast or Avira for your free AntiVirus program. For a Firewall, I recommend Comodo. :)

PS: I'm sure others will jump in here and give their opinions. We all like different things for different reasons. You'll basically need to do your "homework", and decide which programs are the best fit for you.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Seconded on avast home edition. The only small downside is that they make you register but it's free and you only need an email.

cwillis

cwillis

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Rising Antivirus, not as well known as the big hitters, but currently has 80,000,000 users (www.freerav.com). Comodo Firewall is fantastic and has an antivirus option that you can opt to not install (http://www.comodo.com/).

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Greetings Kyleweatherly93 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

As mentioned above, Avira and Avast are the big names in free protection which is effective. If I had to choose I think I would go with Avira myself. Both are very good --- either would serve you well. I personally use ZoneAlarm for my firewall and it works great! Comodo is also a great application but is not as friendly for users who are not very computer literate. It depends on your literacy level and what settings you are comfortable tweaking to get results.

In any case, I think the above suggestions are excellent. I don't think you will be disappointed :)

Good luck! :)