Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dell Inspiron 8200 won't turn on properly

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, everyone.

I have a 2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 which was working fairly well until recently. The only issue up until about 3 weeks ago was that it would make very loud whirring/grinding noises if it started to get too warm.

3 weeks ago, I spilled a little juice (I do mean a little) on the closed lid of my laptop. I dried off the cover, then tipped the computer back to get any that had been trapped inside. Within 10 minutes of this happening, I turned on my computer and everything was fine. I ran it for about 10 minutes, shut down, and restarted just fine.

The next day, when I tried to get it to turn on, it wouldn't. The 3 "idiot lights" (num lock, caps, and scroll lock) turn on, but I can't hear anything engage inside the computer. After about 3 seconds, the lights turn off.

After blowing out the inside top area by the fans with canned air (the only possible entry point), I called my Geek for some help. Because he lives on the other side of the country now, he can only diagnose by phone. The best he could tell me was to take out batteries and try with only AC, which didn't help. He also told me to reseat the RAM, which I have no idea how to do.

The following are my considerations:
-It is an old computer with frightfully small HD, so I was planning to get a new one soon anyway. I would like to get this one working as a backup, or for a friend, if possible.
-If nothing else, I would like to get the hard drive out and copy over to an external, and would prefer to do this myself. The question is, how?

Thanks for any/all help!

**UPDATE: Guide found and RAM reseated. No luck.**

Edited by luvbun03, 03 August 2009 - 03:01 PM.