Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can non Dell DVD burners be fitted in Dell Tower

• Please log in to reply

barnie1528

barnie1528

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. My niece has a Dell desktop that is 2 1/2 years old. The DVD burner, in spite of all the usual checks, is not working. I thought I could buy any standard size DVD burner of any make and fit same in slot. However my 19yr old nephew reckons that not all makes will fit. Can anyone advise before I make a purchase and am stuck with it because it doesn't fit.
Many thanks for any help given
PS. I am aware it is a SATA.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It'll be fine.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi barnie1528.

It'll be fine.

I would like to elaborate on Neil's comment by backing up my opinion...

I have worked with several Dell PCs in a home and business environment and can honestly say that I have never seen a DVD/CD drive not fit just because a system is a Dell. DVD/CD drives are pretty universal... I don't see an issue.

Out of curiosity, what model of Dell are you using?

barnie1528

barnie1528

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Facedown98 and Neil,

Thank you very much for taking the time not only to read my post, but to spend your valuable time in putting the effort in to reply.
My neice lives 140 miles away, and I didn't take note of the actual Dell model. However it looks a pretty standard tower and not unlike my own Dimension 9100. I have, as a result of your posts, recontacted my nephew and asked him to think back (this issue began about 18mths ago and has never been addressed until now!). I have now established that he thinks the issue was a different connection and nothing to do with size. Well he is 19yrs - isn't it just typical. So I will press ahead and order a new SATA burner. What can I say other than thanks again for your help.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
No problem, glad we were able to assist you!

If you have any questions please let us know :)

Good luck! :)